Am I likely to get the cost of living payment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I likely to get the cost of living payment?

teezee
teezee Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Morning all, I hope you're well.
I'm confused over the cost of living payment and wondered if anyone could help please?
I've been on UC for over a year now along with SSP from a part time job which I've been signed off from since October, (injured my knee at work last year).
I know that if you got a nothing from them in the period 29/4 - 29/5 you could miss out. That was me .. I would have got £217.00 but that was paid directly to my housing association, so I physical got nothing paid into my bank account.
Will this affect me and the cost of living payment? I'm really struggling financially at the moment. I received small payments from UC in the months before and after May, (around £151 plus their contribution direct to my landlord), it's just that one month that, unfortunately, was affected. 
I'd appreciate any help as I can't seem to find anything online other than, "you may be entitled if a tent payment has been made by UC".
Thank you x

Comments

• teezee
    That was a "rent" payment .. I honestly don't live in a tent 😂
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Good morning @teezee and thanks for your query, I've marked it as unanswered so that our members can share their thoughts with you, as I'm afraid I'm not sure of the exact answer in this case.

On the Gov.uk website it says: 
    To get the first Cost of Living Payment of £326, you must have been entitled to a payment (or later found to be entitled to a payment) of Universal Credit for an assessment period that ended in the period 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022.
    When was your Housing Association paid the £217.00?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    You should get the Cost of Living payment because you were entitled to a UC payment. The fact the payment was made direct to your landlord rather than to you makes no difference. The criteria are having a UC entitlement, not a UC payment,
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • teezee
    Thank you calcotti. My daughter said the same but I've never been lucky with these things so I tend to err on the negative 🙈 xx

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    There are others like yourself who's rent is paid straight to their LL and they've received the first payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • teezee
    @Alex_Scope that was paid out of the money I received on 29th May. Award period 23/4-22/5 x
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for explaining @teezee that's really helpful :) Because your award period ended on the 22nd May, you will be entitled as this falls within the period 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022.

The first payment should go in anytime between 14th July and 31st July, so there's still time for it to come through yet!

I hope that helps reassure you :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Good morning @teezee
    I'm glad that calcotti and Alex_Scope have been able to help you on this.  The first payment of the cost of living payment should be made before 31.7.22.  The dates for the second payment haven't been confirmed yet. 
    Online Community Adviser

• teezee
    Thank you. I'm still waiting. I just wish there was a telephone number to call to find out for sure. I'm only getting £151 from UC tomorrow, (£404 is being paid directly to my landlord as part rent but I've still, somehow, got to find out other £220). 
    I'm getting panicky that I've heard nothing. Tried asking my benefits agent but they just said to look on the website .. like I haven't done that almost as frequently as I've checked my banking app 😩 It's so frustrating. X
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    @teezee did you get the cost of living payment in the end?
    How come UC don't cover your full rent? Look at a discretionary housing payment if it's short every month. 
  • calcotti
    @teezee did you get the cost of living payment in the end?
    How come UC don't cover your full rent? Look at a discretionary housing payment if it's short every month. 
    A shortfall on rent in the private sector is very common because rents are generally higher than the applicable Local Housing Allowance which limits hte maximum help.
    Be aware that a Discretionary Housing Payment, if awarded, will be for a short term period only.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh I know it's very common I'm just wondering if there might be other reasons. People end up with out their full rent covered incorrectly a lot too. Like an untidy tenancy or deductions when they shouldn't apply so was just checking it wasn't those. 

Also although DHP as meant as short term some councils will continue to award them and even short term help is better than none
  • calcotti
    ..People end up with out their full rent covered incorrectly a lot too. Like an untidy tenancy or deductions when they shouldn't apply so was just checking it wasn't those. 

Also although DHP as meant as short term some councils will continue to award them and even short term help is better than none
    Agree with your comments - sorry if my earlier brief comment came across as dismissive. That wasn't my intention.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.