Hi, my name is ElGreco15081! Would love to hear from others who found the assessment demoralising — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is ElGreco15081! Would love to hear from others who found the assessment demoralising

Options
ElGreco15081
ElGreco15081 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello Scope Community.
I am new to your community and have landed here by fate. I saw an article about PIP reassessment as a result of new DWP rules and clicked on it to find out more. My son went through the assessment on Wednesday with the DWP representative on the phone. I would love to hear from others in your community who went through the assessment and felt totally demoralised after the process. 2 hours and 40 minutes it took, not the 60 minutes we were told.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind regards,

ElG.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @ElGreco15081 :) I'm glad you stumbled across us!

Your son certainly isn't the only one to feel demoralised after the assessment. Unfortunately, many people feel this way. I've moved your post into our PIP category. If you take a look through there, you'll be able to find lots of people in a similar position.

The length of assessments can vary quite a lot, and doesn't really indicate how successful it was. 

Would you mind sharing a little more about what in particular your son found demoralising about the assessment? 
    PIP reassessment as a result of new DWP rules
    Is this in reference to the way the DWP changed how they view how overwhelming psychological distress can affect someone's ability to plan and follow a journey?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ElGreco15081 welcome to our great group 
    Sorry i can't help with your experience with PIP.
    Hopefully you will find help i the  PIP category that Tori pointed you towards.

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is a long assessment!! I had a paper assessment for pip most recently and before that and last time I applied I had an assessment at home and it was long but definitely not that long!! It was an awful experience to be honest and I don't talk about it much as I don't like to put others off. It left me a complete mess and he was just so rude and it felt like deliberately misunderstanding things I was trying to say.
    Thankfully they're not all like that and by contrast I've had some lovely work capability assessment assessors. 

I find the whole process very demoralising and kind of demeaning. Will you be asking for a copy of your son's assessment report or just waiting to see the decision first? 

Hope you and he are feeling okay <3
  • K5T
    K5T Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Recently had my assessment via phone call. Found it to be the exact same, almost like they where questioning everything i has said but not in a "I want to understand you better" kind of way. 

The whole process has caused me significant distress and regardless of my outcome I won't be appealing or reapplying. 

Think I'll wait for the decision before I see the report, too much pressure already. Hope yours goes okay 🤍
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yep the best way I feel @K5T try and put it all to the back of your mind and keep yourselves busy - good luck all.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How is everyone doing today? I hope you are all well. If you do need anything though, we are all here for each other  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.