Hose pipe ban — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hose pipe ban

Options
Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
In certain parts of the UK a hose pipe ban is in place, with possibly more to come, with the lack of rain we've had in most parts. Watching the debate on the vine show,  the water companies want neighbours to report on anyone using their hose. Would you report your neighbours? 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What’s the punishment for violating a hose pipe ban? Is it actually put in law with a set punishment or is it just the water companies saying “please don’t use your hose pipe”?

If it’s just the latter could they cut your water off if you violate the ban and are they actually allowed to do that?

It doesn’t affect me either way, just a few questions out of curiosity.

For me I use gallons of water having a 45 minute to 1 hour long shower every day due to my severe OCD. I probably use far more water than any hosepipe. Maybe they should limit shower length to 5 minutes though that would wreak havoc on my OCD!
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Fines are up to a 1000 pound if caught ignoring a ban. 
    They already say to reduce water, an hours shower is too long  they recommend from 5 to10 to 15 minutes. Plus the less water water you use the less water bills you pay. 
    I wouldn't personally tell on anyone if they wanted to water there garden. 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:

I wouldn't personally tell on anyone if they wanted to water there garden. 
    Nor me.  Start that game with a neighbour and it`s asking for trouble.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think they should impose a nationwide hosepipe ban ASAP
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cartini
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I think they should impose a nationwide hosepipe ban ASAP
    Why nationwide?  The South West isn`t suffering (at the moment), so why implement a hosepipe ban here when it`s been implemented in the South East?
    Either way, it wouldn`t make any difference to me because I don`t water my lawns; I`m not fussed if they are green or parched.

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I just think they should start building more reservoirs - if this is global warming it will be happening every year. x
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I live in the North West and we have had lots of rain. Reporting neighbours is not something I would do.
    Me too.
  • bg844
    Options
    I will not snitch, my neighbours are lovely people and are the only people I seen (from a distance) during lockdown in their front gardens. I can’t see many on my street doing the same either.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Back In  the day they use to send helicopters up to check lawns, not sure if they do any more. It's the farmers I feel sorry for Al those crops
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I'm with you there @Sandy_123 it must be a night mare for farmers xx
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    They've already been on tv, to say the prices may go up because of the weather and ruined crops. I know some of my flowers have burnt in the 40 degree heat we had. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think they should build desalination plants, plenty of water in the seas.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cartini
    Options
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    No helicopters now - drones are much better value. At least these bans are backed up by fines under the Water Industry Act
  • Sandy_123
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I forgot about drones. Ironicly with out thinking  I bought a new hosepipe yesterday, my son said, so you've bought a hose pipe in a hose pipe ban :/ . We don't have one in the Midlands yet, but I think it will be soon.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I'm starting to feel guilty about using my hose pipe now @Sandy_123 xx
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I've only watered flowers  they've not been done for days
  • bg844
    Options
    Nothing wrong by watering your flowers Sandy, they needed doing after all and no ban is in place yet.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Yep that's all i have done @Sandy_123 not worried about the grass - I have watered a couple of new bushes i brought - i don't want them to die on me xxx
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m not using a hosepipe I’m using a watering can and to make up for it I’m seldom flushing the loo! I think overall I’m actually using less than usual. 🙂

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.