So frustrating! X-rays show no abnormalities, but I'm still in pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

So frustrating! X-rays show no abnormalities, but I'm still in pain

Options
MadCow1
MadCow1 Community member Posts: 395 Pioneering
Hi everyone,

Has anyone had the same experience with X-ray results?

Had my ankles x-rayed a fortnight ago,as both ankles crack ,the right ankle is the worst & cracks really loud and I am in constant pain with them. Had to push for the x-rays.I have Osteoarthritis in other joints .

Phoned for the results today and the x-rays so no abnormalities?!

I am still in pain,(it's not in my head) and I don't know what to do. I'm sure the docs don't take me seriously anyway.Its getting me really down.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @MadCow1 that does sound incredibly frustrating. It can be very upsetting when we don't feel properly heard or understood.

I've not had any recent x-rays so I can't comment directly on your first question, I've marked this post as unanswered for the time being, so other members can more easily share their thoughts.
    I'm sure the docs don't take me seriously anyway
    Have you spoken to them about your ankles since you had the x-rays done? And is this something you've experienced in the past? 

I am sorry to hear it's getting you down, is it just the one doctor you've seen, or have you considered getting a second opinion? 

You might like to look into making a complaint to the NHS if you're unhappy with the service you've received, or if you wanted the support of an advocate to help make sure your voice is heard. 

Let us know if we've missed anything, or if you feel we can help further :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know the feeling. I've had a problem with my ankle too for several months. I had an Xray quite a few months ago and it came back normal but the problem persists. Can't even touch it because it's so painful. Walking is another issue and the more i walk on it, the more painful and swollen it becomes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    I am pushing to get another appointment to with a doc to discuss this. The problem is that they are all new docs. 3 docs retired,one left, meaning that there's no docs that know their well . I have had 3 x-rays before & had no problems. I was diagnosed straight away with Osteoarthritis.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    edited August 2022
    Options
    X-rays tend to show only boney injuries or damage. Damage to tendons, ligaments and muscular injuries may not show on an X-ray but can cause severe pain and longer recovery times. 
    I have RA and when one of the X-rays to my wrists came back normal I was referred for an MRI and this showed extensive damage to my wrists. I’ve had two lots of surgery on my feet but the damage to them did show up on the X-rays, one was a joint dislocation and the other was a boney nodule. 
    I would go back to your GP @MadCow1 and stress how much pain you are in.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456,

Did you perservere with complaining about your ankle problem to your Doc's? That's what I am going to do.

• MadCow1
    Options
    Hi @Karen7788,
    Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I am going to be getting back to the docs this week, & going to suggest further investigations,as it's made my depression worse & it needs sorting.

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @MadCow1 i'm with Karen here - a lot of my problems only show up with MRI scans, so keep pushing.
    Also have you been to see a physio some of them are amazing they can feel problems.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi

Just thought I'd update you about ankle problem. Today I spoke with a doctor about it & he is going to send me for an ultrasound on them. So, hopefully,it will show up the cause of the pain,cracking & tightness, especially the right ankle.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi @Teddybear12

Thanks, hopefully it won't be long before the appointment comes through,the sooner the better.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Good luck with the MRI, hope your appointment comes through soon and you get the answers and treatment that you need. 
  • MadCow1
    Options
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad they havn't give up on you @MadCow1 hopefully you wont have to wait long for the scan, 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's positive @MadCow1 I hope you're able to get the ultrasound done before too long, let us know how it goes :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi @Alex_Scope,

Thanks,I hope that it's not too much longer that I have to wait for the appointment.

I will let you know though.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.