Car insurance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Car insurance

Options
sunnyinside
sunnyinside Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello , hoping someone can help . My daughter claims high rate Mobility PIP and is a blue badge holder . She has just received her provision driving licence . She is 16 . Where can I get insurance for her to learn as my company and a lot of others I tried won’t insure under 17 year olds . 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @sunnyinside and welcome to the online community :) 

Thanks for making this discussion, congratulations to your daughter for taking that step towards driving, how is she feeling about potentially learning and eventually driving?

This isn't a subject I have much awareness of, but I know that we've had many members in the past who have been unsure about how to go about finding insurance. Have any of the companies you have tried been able to make any recommendations?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • sunnyinside
    Options
    Hi , thanks . She’s very excited to learn to drive . No one’s been able to recommend anything but someone suggested that Admiral maybe able to help . I did look on Google but didn’t find anything other than 17-25 year old drivers . Even motability didn’t have any ideas 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A lot of insurance companies will refuse to insure someone so young. If you haven’t already then try the comparison sites such as go compare or confused. Com. 
    Has she ordered a motability car? If so then she may need to wait for that and her insurance will be fully covered.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sunnyinside
    Options
    Hello , 

I can’t seam to get any quotes on comparison sites as it gives an error / warning message as her date of birth is under 17 . No we have chosen not to get a  motability  car as it’s not a good option at the moment 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I did a Google search for young drivers and all it came up with was for those aged between 17 and 24. I’m afraid I have no advice to give you. How long is it until she’s 17? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sunnyinside
    Options
    Another 6 months till she’s 17 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You may have no option but to wait until she's 17. In the meantime all you can do is to ring a few insurance companies to see if they will insure her. It will very likely cost quite a lot of money though, it maybe less if you're the main driver with her as a named driver.
    I did this for my elder daughter when she was learning but she was 19 at the time. Once she passed her test i was then removed from her insurance but the cost went through the roof. This was almost 6 years ago and premiums have increased since then.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.