I have been using self- Catheters for a year and a half now and am still finding it difficult — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have been using self- Catheters for a year and a half now and am still finding it difficult

Options
Gill74
Gill74 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone, I have been using  self- Catheters for a year and a half now and am still finding it difficult. Not the actual use of them but the fact that I can only use my catheter 6 times a day! The amount of drinks I can have versus the amount of liquid in food. It was recommended that I didn't drink after six pm. Well that curtails the social life! 🙂 Does anyone else have a dietary problem? Is it wrong that you frequently overflow? Thanks for any help you can give. Gill

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @gill74 :) Thanks for joining!

This isn't something I've experienced personally. I hope that someone else who's faced the same challenge will find and respond to your post soon. 

Have you spoken to your medical team about this issue, and any ways around it?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gill74 welcome to the forum.  Can I ask why you can only use your catheter 6 times a day, as they usually have a tap on at the bottom, so they can  be emptied as needed. The only ones that don't have a tap on the bottom is the night catheter bags, which are large to accommodate night usage and connected to the day bag.
  • Gill74
    Gill74 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Sandy these are not a bag they give you independence and you can use them when you want to go for a wee. Much better than bags to which I am thankful for.🙂
  • Boyden1964
    Boyden1964 Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Options
    Hi I might be able to help with some tips and advice I have been self catheterizing for 20 plus years hope you don't  mind me asking what's the reason you self Catherise? As I maybe  able to help you with some tips and advice 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.