I'm Alieee28! I'd like to talk with other parents who have osteoarthritis. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm Alieee28! I'd like to talk with other parents who have osteoarthritis.

Options
Alieee28
Alieee28 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
In the last year I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis as a result of having covid-19.  Having a little 2 year old, it isn't always easy on bad days but I have a great support network.  Ive joined to talk to fellow parents about how they manage.  I've also recently and successfully been through the pip system so may have some useful advice.  So a big hello to everyone.

Comments

• Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the community. How are you? 
    We do have a parents and carers category, which I think will help, but we also have a coffee lounge for informal conversations about things, out recent posts are  including Halloween based things. 
    Feel free to explore the community at your own pace and we will be here to answer any queries you have. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Alieee28 and a warm welcome to our online community, how's it going today?

I'm so sorry to hear you developed osteoarthritis after contracting covid-19. How are you managing day to day with that? Do you have good support from your medical team? I really hope so.

It's lovely that you have a two year old! I have a one year old so am not that far behind you. Are the terrible two's a reality for you yet? :D  How's your little one getting on? I appreciate that on the worse days, it must be difficult to juggle your responsibilities. Please don't be too hard on yourself though, you are doing the very best you can. To speak with others in the same situation, feel free to browse our Children, parents and families category - which I've also moved your thread into - I'm sure you can relate to many others stories.

Also, well done on being successful with your PIP claim. I can imagine that was a big relief and I hope it helps financially. We have a PIP, DLA and AA category that is brimming with questions and anecdotes of how others have gotten on, so if you ever fancy getting involved please do. 

It's lovely to virtually meet you and I hope you are having a fab Halloween weekend. Take care and speak again soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Ollyoyster
    Ollyoyster Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Options
    @Alieee28 hia,  I too have oa, in knees, grade 4 in places, it's not good is it, I have hypermobility which is a slight chance this is why it's developed.  Where if u don't mind me asking is yours. I am waiting for my result for pip but not holding my breath x
  • Alieee28
    Options
    @Ollyoyster I have mine in my ankles, hands and wrists and right shoulder. They think it was triggered following the awful COVID rash I developed causing an extreme allergic reaction and swelling.  They think it triggered a reactive arthritis which developed into oa.  I also wasn't holding out much hope for pip, so was very surprised when it was awarded.  Still awaiting my letter with all the details but it is a relief to know that it is in place. 
  • Ollyoyster
    Options
    Brilliant x. Wow and u have a toddler, superwoman!!!!  My kids all teenagers now, so I can only guess how u cope!!  Did u ask for a written copy of hp report, is this how you know already before the award letter?  Great on this site isn't it, everyone so helpful and friendly x
  • Alieee28
    Options
    @ollyoyster I had a text saying it had been awarded but could take up to 2 weeks for the confirmation letter to arrive.  I wouldn't say I'm superwoman as I have a brilliant partner.  I try to keep busy and manage things as well as I can.... I am incredibly stubborn and hate to be beaten. Lol 
  • Ollyoyster
    Options
    Ace,  strong woman.  I haven't received a text so I'm guessing no pip for me, 😔,, I had a copy of hp report and if it go's by that I'm out by 2 points, as I need to use a chair to get ready, not classed as an aid?! @# so ill wait an see. Yeh your blessed having a good partner, enjoy everyinite with your little one, I've blinked and they're all grown up now, 24, 20, and youngest 13,, love them to bits xx
  • ChiChi
    ChiChi Community member Posts: 50 Connected
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I feel for you....I have RA Osteoarthritis, nerve damage in my spine and right arm and I have 6 children aged 13 and below. My 2 year old seemed to re trigger pain throughout my body when I gave birth and it's never been the same since. I'm on pregablin 200mg daily and co codomal to top up 4 times a day. Husband works part time just so he can help out but my 2 eldest girls really help a lot.

I know it's a daily struggle from waking to sleeping to moving and even trying not to fall down the stairs....

When I applied for pip first time I was shocked that it was awarded straight away, I also was lost for words at how it went through because I had heard so many bad stories.

We women don't know what were made of. I mean even throughout illness we will always put our children's needs first....
  • ChiChi
    ChiChi Community member Posts: 50 Connected
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Ace,  strong woman.  I haven't received a text so I'm guessing no pip for me, 😔,, I had a copy of hp report and if it go's by that I'm out by 2 points, as I need to use a chair to get ready, not classed as an aid?! @# so ill wait an see. Yeh your blessed having a good partner, enjoy everyinite with your little one, I've blinked and they're all grown up now, 24, 20, and youngest 13,, love them to bits xx
    I hope it goes in your favour. You can always ask for mandatory reconsideration if it doesn't 
  • Ollyoyster
    Options
    @Chichi thankyou, I'm doing an MR,, I have still to wait for brown letter but I rang up and she told me I've not been awarded,,  stay strong ladies ❤️

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.