Severe Disability Premium backdate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability Premium backdate

Options
Shamus
Shamus Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all, i claimed and was awardered full Pip, then claimed SDP, i presumed it would be backdated to when i was entitled to Pip?, 
My Pip claim to award took 17 months!!, so presumed this is how far backdated the Sdp would be (by now approx 20 mnths) . 

But had a payment today for Sdp and its less than half as expected 🙄 , almost as if theyve only backdated to this April when my Pip claim was in April 2021?.

What am i missing here??, can anyone explain please before i have to sit hours on the phone going round in circles!? 😳. 
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you were entitled to it at the start of your PIP claim then it should be backdated to that date. I'm afraid you'll need to ring ESA to ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi @Shamus. Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you at the moment?

Thanks for already finding the courage to reach out to us. I appreciate how much courage it can take to reach out, especially when you are finding things tough and are new.

I can see @poppy123456 has already responded to you. Do you feel Poppy’s response has provided you with the support you need, though not what you had hoped?

Good luck with calling ESA. Please feel free to let us know how things go and if you need any further support in the meantime.

We are all here for you and listening to you. Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Shamus
    Options
    So i phoned Jobcentre Plus, after A Lot of being put on hold i was told that the DWP will phone ne in 2 to 3 days to explain it all to me!? 🤔, which leads me to believe they are going to come up with some excuse as to why they arent paying me SDP from when i was entitled to pip??, does anyone know of any reason why they Dont backdate it??, they basically backdated 7 mnths and left an entire year out! 😳. 
    Thanks
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It doesn’t mean they are going to make an excuse. The person you spoke to may have realised they needed some information checked and didn’t want to give you an incorrect answer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Shamus
    Options
    Does anybody know of Any reason why they Wouldn't backdate it? 🤔, as ive said theyve backdated only 7 mnths when it should of been 19 mnths!? 🙄, missing a full year out 😞. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If entitled to it for all those months then it should be backdated. Of course if you weren't entitled to it then it won't be backdated for all those months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Shamus
    Options
    What reason would there be that im entitled to it for the 7 mnths but not the whole year before?. I can just picture someone dealing with my claim saying 'that date must be wrong, it couldnt of taken that long for his pip claim, it must mean April 2022 not April 2021? ' 🤔 . 
    Im just struggling to work out whats happened and why thats all. 
    If im entitled because i now get full pip from April 2021,why would they have only backdated to April 2022??.thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I have no idea of the reasons why you may not be entitled to it for all that time. I have no idea what your circumstances were during that time. You will need to wait for DWP to make a decision on that.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.