Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Do I need to update PIP?

Options
Autism_at_40
Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
I'm temporarily staying with a friend, do I need to update PIP of change of address?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, it doesn't affect any of your benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Well, I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.
    It does effect my Universal Credit, I was told to update my address immediately, even if it was a temporary one.
    I just wanted to know if it was the same for PIP.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sorry but whoever advised you that is incorrect. There's no rules about being able to stay with friends temporary.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    @poppy123456
    It was the DWP themselves and no offence, they are the ones that know.
    I think you may have misinterpreted my question, it wasn't that I was asking if it was ok to be staying with a friend.  I was asking if I needed to change my address, if it is only a temporary address.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    What do you mean by temporary? Are you still paying rent somewhere else? How long are staying for?
    @poppy123456
    The advice given by people answering the phone on behalf of DWP is often incorrect.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    calcotti said:
    What do you mean by temporary? Are you still paying rent somewhere else? How long are staying for?
    @poppy123456
    The advice given by people answering the phone on behalf of DWP is often incorrect.
    I mean that I was living with my sister, she kicked me out, so I am temporarily staying with a friend until I find my own place.  I am not paying rent elsewhere.  If I was not here, I would be homeless.

I didn't call the DWP, I asked my work coach and this has been verified by someone I know who works for DWP.  In fact, I remember last time I updated my address with them, I seem to remember them putting a warning up that I hadnt done it immediately.  Same happens with change of job etc.

I was just asking if the same applies to PIP.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You didn't really explain yourself well in your first comment. Had you said what you've now then i would have advised differently. My fault for not asking what you meant by "temporary" in this case you should change your address with PIP as well.
  • Autism_at_40
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I said I was temporarily staying with a friend....... :#
    I didn't realise it was so ambiguous...
    Maybe I should have put, 'living' instead of 'staying'....
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Living would have been better. My apologies for not asking what you mean by temporary.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Logical answer is if you want to get any correspondence delivered to the temporary address then you need to inform the relevant organisation

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No I don't think so 
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Logical answer is if you want to get any correspondence delivered to the temporary address then you need to inform the relevant organisation

Well, I have a 3 month redirect on my previous address and I am unlikely to receive any PIP correspondence in the next few months.  It was merely a question about if I have to do it in order to continue to be paid.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janer1967 said:

Well, I have a 3 month redirect on my previous address and I am unlikely to receive any PIP correspondence in the next few months.  It was merely a question about if I have to do it in order to continue to be paid.
    Didn't think of that 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.