Hi, my name is JackJones03! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is JackJones03!

JackJones03
JackJones03 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I'm fourteen with cerebral palsy 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JackJones03, and welcome to the community! Do let us know if we can be of any assistance. :)
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Jack, @JackJones03, and a warm welcome to the community. Very, very glad you have joined us, and would love to know more about you. Please tell us - if you are willing - a little more about yourself - how you are, what you are interested in, hobbies, stuff like that.
    I look forward to getting to know you,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• JackJones03
    Hello Richard I like anything to do with old music anything historical how about you?
  • JennysDad
    Hi Jack, and it's good to hear from you. 
    Old music?  I tend to like very old music - classical music from the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries particularly. I also love film music.
    And history.. My father was a soldier, so one of the first interests I had was military history. Born in 1951 (I'm rather an old man now, you see) there were war movies and war documentaries, mostly about WW2, every weekend and many weekdays, so WW2 was my first historical obsession. Then it expanded to WW1, the Roman conquests and much else besides. In recent years I've read a very great deal about the 18th and 19th centuries, particularly about the life of ordinary people.
    Living in London I am surrounded by museums and historical sites.
    How's that for starters? I look forward to hearing from you again.
    Richard
  • JackJones03
    Good morning Richard that sounds interesting my brother is training to be a commando in the army at the moment he is a royal engineer,training at Devon.have you ever watched Victoria? It's worth a watch I'm really enjoying it  the music I listen to is more 70s-80s music my obsession with history began when I was approaching high school I enjoy learning about the royal family i wonder what name William and kate are going to call their third child,I enjoyed the history of Hitler's,lovely hearing from you 
  • JennysDad
    Hi Jack, @JackJones03 and it's good to hear from you.
    Your brothers training as a commando? I guess you don't argue with him very much :smile:
    My dad was in the 17/21st Lancers, the 'Death or Glory Boys' and transferred to REME (working mainly with tanks). I don't know my grandfathers' regiments, but both of them served at the Somme in WW1.
    I haven't watched Victoria. To be honest, I've read a very great deal about her time and the image of her that one gets from the history books is very different to the movie image :smile: I'm not that much of a royalist, either, though I think Kate is gorgeous and that both William and Harry seem to be very nice guys.
    Old music, the 70s and 80s :D Now I feel even older than I did to start with :wink:
    Who are your favourites from that time?
    The history of Hitler and the Nazi party continues to fascinate most of us, doesn't it. Are you studying history at school? In fact, if you're at school, it might be a good idea to tell me anything you're struggling with. Maths is a no-no, for me - never have been able to make much sense of it - but most other things I could probably help you with, even if I had to do some research.
    I have to go up to London today to get some shopping done, so I'll be off-line for quite a while, but will look for messages from you as soon as I get back.
    Lovely to hear from you too, Jack,
    Richard
  • JackJones03
    Hello Richard how are you today I like a mixture of the 70s-80s music I think I was born in the wrong era my brother is a big softie he still believes he should have an Easter egg hunt even though he's 22 this year he's home this week we're going to get chickens any ideas for names? My strong subject is mathsa at school I'm thinking of starting a campaign because when I was in two hospitals they didn't have hoists my future stepdad had to lift me three times is Jenny your daughter looking forward to hearing from you 
  • JennysDad
    Hello Jack, and what a lovely mail to receive. I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner today but I had to help take an elderly lady to hospital earlier.
    In answer to your last question I have to tell you something that is probably far more easy for me to say than it is for you to hear, and that is that yes, Jenny is my daughter, but she died in 1991. She had a list of conditions probably as long as your arm and eventually the combination of them proved fatal.

That is, however, 27 years ago, and that's a very long time. I still love her and I still miss her, but I find it very easy to talk about her and her passing now. It is such a long time, you see, that you kind of become used to it, so don't be afraid of saying or asking me anything about it.

I am very grateful that she taught me, in her short life, just how very beautiful young people are, especially those who face the greatest challenges, and it is because of her that I am here, in this community, now, giving me the chance of meeting people like you :)

You are going to get chickens? Hmmm. Because of my weird sense of humour I might be tempted to call them things like Biriani, Kiev, Korma, Curry and things like that :) But in reality - since they're really rather lovely things - I would probably go for character names from books and movies. There's Chicken Licken, from a book also called Henny Penny, Chicken Little and Little Red (Hen). Then there's the cast of 'Chicken Run' where you could use the name of the characters or of the actors - that would give you/me 'Rocky' or 'Mel' (Gibson) for a rooster, 'Bunty' or 'Imelda' (Staunton), 'Babs', or 'Jane' (Horrocks), and a few others.
    A wonderful movie. Do you like animations, by the way?

And if your brother the commando is a 'big softie' I'm afraid I am too :) I just love Easter eggs.

Your strong subject, you tell me, is Maths. Well, that's my feeblest :( along with the sciences. When I was young, when KIng Henry VIII was on the throne :) , students at school were quickly divided up into 'artists' and 'scientists'. Good at English and able to draw quite well, I was declared to be an 'artist' and never really got focused on anything else. By the time I had learned that I was clever enough to do anything I might really want to do it was a bit late for me to start over.

A sort of snapshot of my work area will give you some clues as to what I do or have done, where my interests lie. On a shelf opposite, on top of a tall bank of shelves of DVDs, there are a bunch of maquettes - little wooden artist's figures with poseable limbs, of which four are bodies and one is a detailed wooden hand, a replica of a Union soldier's cap and a Britain's model 12 pounder cannon of the kind used in the US Civil War, two or three jars of paint brushes that I don't really use any more, and a variety of odds and ends including a small, battery operated Dalek. One of my students at school was obsessed with Dr Who. In front of me, of course, is my PC, together with a video camera I keep forgetting to download, a graphics tablet and stylus for drawing with on the computer. Then there's a drawing board beside me and a rack of a couple of hundred coloured pencils, and that's just a start.

Your stepdad-to-be (that sounds exciting) had to lift you onto the bed in hospital? I used to have to do that with my little girl and would have had to continue to do it if she'd grown into a big one. She often would not settle at all unless she was in my arms, so I carried her pretty much everywhere, and even at her oldest, at 4 and half, she was no small weight. It is sad how badly equipped so many hospitals are. Tell me more about your campaign.

A long post, though I hope you find it interesting. It is a real pleasure to get to know you, Jack. Do tell me if I write too much or speak at all out of turn.

Very warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

• JackJones03
    Hello Richard lovely  hearing from you sorry to hear about your daughter Jenny I lost my grandfather in 2012 same night I had a fit I have not had a fit since when you were at the hospital did they have hoists? My campaign is about getting mobile hoists in hospitals it can't be very comfortable for children being carried all the time I had a hermia so as well as being in agony my future stepfather was also carrying an eight and an half stone weight so can't be very healthy we are in 2018 I'm shocked at the whole set up you could take art up if that's still want you want to do
    look forward to hearing from you tomorrow 
  • JennysDad
    Hi Jack, and good to hear from you.
    As I remember hoists were only used in hospital - and more often in care homes - to get people into a bath. I really don't remember ever seeing one in use to get anyone into bed. A lot of people will come to a ward on a trolley, I suspect, from A&E, and moving someone from a trolley to a bed is not very difficult. But I wonder if they use hoists in A&E in the first place? One would think hoists would be available - there is a huge amount of Health and Safety legislation these days to prevent nurses/care workers and the like from lifting people who are too heavy for them.
    I don't remember ever finding out what Jenny weighed after she was weighed as a baby. I don't suppose she ever got heavier than 2 or 3 stone. For me the hardest part was bending to put her down, so I built a bed for her a little above my own waist height.
    I could and probably should do more with art, but I find I am not very interested any more. I prefer talking to people and listening, and trying to make a difference in the world. I do a lot of reading, too.
    What do you think to my chicken names ideas :smile:
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Salamka101
    Salamka101 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    @JennysDad
    Hope you don't mind me responding to this thread but I have been sincerely moved by reading it. My wifes youngest sister was run over by a drunk driver while standing outside a Post Office with her brother and sisters. She was just five years old at the time. She survived in a vegiative state for 26 years. However her influence on our entire family was amazing. 

Her 4 older sisters and her brother went on to marry and, by coincidence, each had 3 children. All those kids were 'BaBa' to Julie and grew up caring for her and playing with her, above all loving her. My youngest daughter, my wife and several of our close relatives now work with children.

One of the proudest moments of my life was when my son, just 15 then, stepped forward with his uncles to carry her coffin at her funeral because I could not because of my disability. He still says it was the heaviest burden he has ever had to carry.

Salamka101

PS I'm a little older than you, more 1960s and 70s music wise. A huge History buff who has never forgotten the lesson that History is invariably recorded by the victor therefore not always true. I'm also a bit of a Maths wizard.

• JennysDad
    Hi @Salamka101 and you're perfectly welcome to join in, so far as I'm concerned.
    We are all friends here :) and I am grateful to you for sharing your story.
    I entirely take your point about history, having long reached a stage of depending very much on research, and experience I guess, rather than on history as it is conventionally taught. Big subject though.
    Another Maths wizard! I am the apprentice who never got beyond animating mops and buckets. But Jack, here, is strong in Maths and is a history buff too.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • JennysDad
    Hey Jack, @JackJones03, and how are you? I am missing hearing from you and don't want to lose you as a friend. Did I mention to you that photography was one of my hobbies? This one - although not technically very good - is one of my favourites:
    Hope you like it.

Brightness