Hi, my name is TheBhoyo! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is TheBhoyo!

TheBhoyo
TheBhoyo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in Start here and say hello!
Hi There everyone here is an Article that hopefully will be of interest to you, The Article is self explanatory, it is asking for people to email their stories regarding Poverty, Benefits Etc, to this email before the 14th of Sept, to help Professor Philip Alston from the UNHRC when he pays this Government a visit in November, the more people who contact him the better it is for us and the worse it will be {hopefully} for this Government.I am new to the site so dont know if there is enough space for the whole Article so I will post this main part first and then try posting the whole article later, please share the article far and wide on all social media websites, Cheers. TheBhoyo

UN visit will leave Tories nowhere to hide on poverty failings

The United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) are sending a world renowned human rights and law Professor to the UK in November. What won’t please the government is that he has asked for the public to send him their submissions of hardship and similar problems relating to benefits and poverty to help aid him in his investigation. Now is the chance many of you have been waiting for, Please email your story to srextremepoverty@ohchr.org Before the 14th of this month, time is running out so please do it today. Thank You  This will make it hard for the Tories to spin this as “Teething Issues”

Submissions wanted

Mr Alston is looking for submissions from individuals and organisations. You don’t need to be known as everyone’s story is just as important as others.

srextremepoverty@ohchr.org  this is the email should you wish to submit your own pieces to the UN.  srextremepoverty@ohchr.org 

They want no more than 2500 words not including annexes such as reports etc.

He is specifically looking for how austerity measures, welfare reforms and government automation has affected poverty and human rights in the UK.

The closing date for submission is the 14th September 2018

He also welcomes pieces on how Brexit may affect any of the above.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheBhoyo
    Welcome to the community! Thank you for posting this, I'm sure many many members will be interested in this!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheBhoyo and a very warm welcome to the community! Please feel free to have a look around and let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.
    Scope

• TheBhoyo
    TheBhoyo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Chloe and Ami2301, Thank you for the welcome, I think I will mention a bit about myself, and try and put a photo of myself on here , the problem is I am not too sure how to put a photo on, but I can ask my nephew to do it when he calls down,

Anyway Here Goes, I am 60 years young Lol,and I Was born in Glasgow, but now live in the north east of England which i have done for about the last 30 years or so, I used to be a Driving Instructor back in the day for about 10 years or more but well before and even after that I was a musician,

I used to play keyboard {Electric Organ} and a bit of Guitar {not great passable maybe} doing the workies clubs around certain parts of Britain but it was mostly in the North East of England {Durham and surrounding area,s, with two of my brothers, {Me and our Jnr were resident Keyboard + Drummer in a couple of local clubs, but we also toured the north east circuit with our Benny who was a Top Class Comedy Impressionist in his day and he was known as Benny Yorke The man of a thousand voices}

He was sort of semi famous I guess and done the odd T.V shows like Opp Knocks (He came 2nd to the then "Black Abbot comedy group of whom Russ Abbot was the main guy in the band at the time, he also done New Faces and again came 2nd on that,( I cant remember who won that one but I,m sure Micky Most(The Simon Cowell of his day) and Jack Parnell (Well know Band/ Orchestra Leader) were two of the judges on the show that day,

He also done The Lena Martel Show, (Lena was also Scottish and I dont know if her show aired in England, as well as doing the David Nixon Show Twice,(David Nixon was one of the first Magicians to have his own T.V Show) Before the likes of Paul Daniels, David Copperfield, etc, came on to the scene {You can tell I,m over 21 cant you Lol) on the 2nd Nixon show two of the other guests were the Jazz Due (Also Husband and Wife Team) Johnny Dankworth(Saxophone) and Cleo Lane( Singer)

Sadly all three of my brothers have since passed away, as I was the "Baby of the Family" (Some baby at 60 years ole Lol) anyway I was the youngest, we were all very close even my oldest brother our Martin played the accordion, in fact if it hadn't been for him I probably wouldn't have gone on to learn the Keyboard at all, our Martin was a bit on the shy side but great fun at parties with some great one liners,

We all got into Show-business due to my dad being a "Music Hall Artist"{Al Jolson type singer and done other stuff in the show) in fact him and Benny used to do the odd double act on occasions (mostly all ad -lib) with my dad playing the straight man with Benny taking the mickey out of him, {Happy Days} my mum wasn't musical but she loved us all to bits and would always encourage us regardless of what we wanted to do, my ma was Very Special to all of us and as the song says, she was "Simply the Best"

What I try to do now is keep myself busy with various things, not been involved in the music industry for years but would like to get back to doing something in that field, I used to do a bit of singing as well but sort of drifted away from it, but might just start doing something again, {Look out Britain's got Talent Lol} (dont think so somehow) Anyway I am a sort of Independent Campaigner now and have been for a good few years now, as well as basically trying to help any and all causes that I can, mostly by just putting article,s like the one posted onto Facebook, Twitter, etc,I was also an unpaid carer for a wee friend of mine {Keith} who has also since passed away a few years ago,

I like to try and keep busy if I can, because if I dont I used to have a real problem with the Bevvy {Drink} and boredom and stress are two of my trigger points, I've been in rehab for the past eight years (voluntary I hasten to add) and was the chair of Recovery Durham, but have stood down from that but I am still the vice secretary of the newly formed group CDiR (County Durham in Recovery)

I am a member of both Avaaz and closer to home 38%Degrees, who I used to help organise the odd local event at Bishop Auckland, I also try and help people I know with filling in Benefit forms etc, but due to health problems I have had to cut down a bit on that, although I do still help my family and close friends, Anyway I hope you feel you now know me a bit better after reading this Tomb Lol. and feel free to let others know. Speak soon All the Best TheBhoyo
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheBhoyo
    Not often am I left speechless but I am after reading your story. You are an incredibly amazing man! I could feel the bond and the love between you and your family and it was beautiful! I really look forward to seeing you around on the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TheBhoyo and thank you so much for sharing this with us all! You certainly have been busy and the connection to your family is beautiful to see! We would love to see you around the community and feel you could make a big impact with your contributions! Please do let me know if there is anything that I can do :)
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @TheBhoyo   Pleased to meet you .

Thought I would like to tell you thank you for sharing your story.  Amazing and how you coped and struggled, strived to over come.

I know all the struggles of addiction and am happy to be supportive.

It is never easy as it is every day .  As you know yourself.

I have been absent for eleven years and ongoing. 

I have recently been talking to other members of the forum about my experiences and try very much to support others.

Who are needing to understand how they feel. All emotions and how the body reacts.

To coming off the substances or alcohol they have ben taking.

I use this forum for moral support and have met many wonderful people here . We are friendly and since joining made a lot of friends.

I like this about how the Government are getting a UN inspector. Hope to send an Email.

Understand if you have a look around the amount of heart-breaking, distressing stories. The community deals with every day.

Pleasure to meet you .  Keep in touch.  I am from the North East myself.  

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness