Wheelchair bound — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair bound

Tashbash91
Tashbash91 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Im feeling very down, as i used to be able to walk fine but since i had my op were i had facet joint injections they hit a nerve not the muscle and its completly look my independence away from me i have no one to talk to about it, i feel all alone and i also feel like a burden someone please come chat with me and help me find a way to try and get threw.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tashbash91 welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear this. I too was like yourself a few months ago, stuck in a manual wheelchair, unable to get around independently. Something changed my life though. A powered wheelchair! It gave me such a confidence boost and I felt free! Have you contacted your GP and asked to be referred to NHS Wheelchair Services? They assess what type of chair is best for you. You can read more about wheelchair services here.

Hope this helps and Do let us know if we can be of any further assistance! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tashbash91
    I didn't even know that i could do that to be honest i think thats defo something im going to ask my GP about this service as im not on PIP so will i still be able to ask to be refered to this service thanks.
  • Ami2301
    Of course! :)
  • Tashbash91
    Aww brill thanks i will defo ask my GP about that service i had no idea about that service to be honest.
  • Ami2301
    Neither did I until they referred me! Hope that’s given you some hope that you will be getting your independence back! :)
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Welcome, @Toshbosh91, a new member of our community. I am sure you have a lot to give and a lot to receive.

A  motorized chair sounds like more freedom. Did you report the surgeon who hit that nerve, and are you in pain?

I know what alone in a wheel chair feels like. Because of a  broken back, then a bus accident, I was stuck in my apartment, unable to walk, for a year or so. At first, a few people called or came to visit, but then they stopped. I remember that feeling of complete isolation.

You've taken the first step by posting here. I am sure we will be able to help you through this. Keep on posting, and often.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Second hand wheels or scooters are not expensive. Not ideal, but instant solution.

A bonus is, you can find out for yourself what works for you, and chop and change to suit yourself if you are buying and selling your own. 

E.g.  extra cushioning is vital for many, but can sometimes be achieved by a blow up cushion, to avoid the extra weight making the chair I possible to get into a car.  E.g. some users find anti tip is vital, others find it stops their freedom.   E.g. some have space for an all terrain, with socking great wheels or even tank tracks, to go on wet grass.

Often, long term users need a wardrobe of chairs and wheels, just as anyone needs a range of shoes so they don't need to try dancing in wellies.  You will never get that on nhs, of  course.    Something heavy duty, chunky tyres,  something thin, non-marking for indoors ( but carpets are hateful)   something  light and fold up, for travel.  (Warning....All baggage handlers, on all available evidence,  regard it as a test of their honour, to smash up wheelchairs)

There are, esp.  on overseas sites, examples of affordable -ish chairs which can let users move around in a standing or lying position, some which have raising seats. The latter gives equality, because others are not, literally, looking down on you.

Mainly,  epioc ( electric powered indoor outdoor chairs) are near impossible to get, on nhs, and need months, years, of begging, waiting.

By the way,, people who use wheels don't usually care to be called 'bound', since there is something drastically  wrong with the fit of the seat, if they need to be permanently roped in!

Brightness