Hi, friend name is bigperson2018! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, friend name is bigperson2018!

bigperson2018
bigperson2018 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
HI I AM on line to help a man who is in need of help in the axbridge area of somerset  he is only receiving carers allowance for his frail mother who is disabled and gets pension and  any monies she is entitled to  as they live in the same flat 2 bed  this monies her son receives comes out of her benefits I believe   one way or another he only claims this as he was at some point claiming incapacity benefit and it stopped  back a few years ago  with limited understanding reading writing have no idea why he never claimed esa  he said he has never heard of it  and was on dla and a carer filled his form out wrong and he was refused pip  so went 9 mths with out monies and had some backdated dla  the in the summer he was told he dla was ending again and he says the letter went missing at the doctors surgery   so missed the appeal  or a pip claim again  and so has nothing  he has no net work of help or has problems understanding the stress put him in hospital for 2 weeks this has only come to my attention as my friend helps out doing the lawn  and odd jobs and have built up a friendship  a little and my friend picked up on what was going on and asked qs  its rather confussing  I don't know where to start as his phone understanding is not that good either  I have asked him to contact the dla and pip to find out how I can get all the info of what has been happening by giving them my name not sure what he would need to do to do this as  any answers  please advise ..
he is bed ridden as over 30 stone cant walk very much other than loo with walker /stick and mum out side door in case of falls  he is like a learning difficulties person like a child as has had trauma in his life and has mental health issues and a list of problems scared to go out  all types of things when released from hospital he got help with a rail and a ramp going in/out side soon but no other help he was told ever happened  no family friends network or a doctor who knows all just some stuff as when seen at home dosnt have much contact from my under standing  as it would be home visits he can not go there  the mum has limited understanding  but has 1/2 hr help a day  but the son over 50   his learning difficulties are not from birth . im not sure who to contact to get help with form filling or helping him any ideas in the area I mentioned im in devon  can only phone for chats I have some understanding with pip and eas forms of the point system and   and how awful the whole thing is to get these benefits but would like help if other organisations can help not so keen on the cab tho  if have heard there is a scope in Bridgwater not that far  any advice would be great this guy seems to missing out on so much money and is struggling with all and worries and scared  thanks 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bigperson2018 and a warm welcome to the community. Kudos to you for setting out to assist your friend.
    I don't have the answers you are looking for but I am sure there are people here who will be able to advise. Please bear with us and I'll try to get someone back to you. Weekends can be a bit quiet, but I'm sure you'll hear from somebody at the beginning of next week.
    Warmest best wishes to you
    @JennysDad
  • wattsmike
    wattsmike Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    welcome you have come to the right place!
  • samuelmenkens
    samuelmenkens Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    welcome!!! I don't have the answers you are looking for but I am sure there are people here who will be able to advise.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    Hello @bigperson2018 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. May I add a too familiar story to me.  Have former friends like your friend. Seems the system of benefits fails the people whom it should be helping.

I do understand as one of the team of community champions. As is my friend @JennysDad . I will try to help and give much support as we can.

The issues are basically that your friend needs a lot of support, help and most of important of all. Reassurance and some time to cope with all this.

My advice to you is I can give you links to our on line benefit checker 

Also you can find out more information about benefits on our website .

Another suggestion it is possible for your friend to visit Citizens Advice they can do a benefit check and just help with forms.  Plus anything else. I do know you said  not keen on CAB but there are sometimes the place to go with benefits and other related information.

Do face to face explaining  to your friend the procedures and benefits. I regard my self an intelligent gent. Yet find benefits complex and confusing.

I do understand and may I add do have one other organisation I got involved with is a mental health charity.  Called Richmond Fellowship.  You friend can self refer.

https:// wwwrichmondfellowship.org.uk.

They have support workers and staff . Who have the time and patience to deal with what your friend is going through. Deal with benefits and other else.

I used them because got so many knock backs. Also have had lost the way. Used this charity .  Do have many avenues and signposting to helping people like your friend with mental health. Also with many other complex issues.

Have a look on the website.

I myself have mental health and disability . Used this organisation because found them helpful useful and very much also have in mind the clientele.

Have what they call a recovery programme which uses coping methods and strategies with mental health.  Met and had support with my benefits especially assessments and other support.

We are a friendly, supportive community.  Please if we can help with anything else.  Always here anytime. Any body from our community.

Wish you the best and hope we can be supportive.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness