Hi, my name is SOUFIEGAL! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SOUFIEGAL!

SOUFIEGAL
SOUFIEGAL Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener
Hello, 

it turns out Facebook is my friend as it’s brought me to this site. Not sure what to expect but I look forward to chatting and making new friends

yours 

Soufie 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome glad you found us 

This is friendly supportive group have a look around and feel free to join in 

You might like out coffee lounge as a starting point 

Do you want to tell us a bit about yourself 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SOUFIEGAL :) Welcome to the community. I'm glad you stumbled across us! How are you doing today? 

There's a wide range of topics our members discuss here on the community, so please feel free to have a look around and join in. As Jane said, our virtual coffee lounge is a great place to start, as it's the home of our casual conversation. You might also like to have a look through the list of recent discussions to get a feel for what our members are talking about right now. You can also view a list of the categories of conversation we host, to see if anything catches your eye. 

Let us know if you need any help finding your way around! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SOUFIEGAL - You will find this a most welcoming community, & our members are very friendly & supportive. Pleased you found us with Facebook, & thank you for joining. There's nearly always someone here to chat to, & I look forward to hearing from you again. :)
  • SOUFIEGAL
    Hi Tori and chiarieds, 
    I’ve a long standing hearing impairment and a ‘newly’ diagnosed spinal degenerative condition. 
    I’ve gone from being fairly active and self sufficient to struggling to maintain my home in a matter of weeks. 
    I’m still coming to terms with my loss but my self funded counselling is helping. 
    I could deal with and hide the hearing loss but the physical/mobility issue is harder to hide.
    it’s getting better and I’m asking for help now.
    so glad I found this group and thanks for the warm welcome.
  • SOUFIEGAL

Ooops sorry I missed to off  my thank you’s janer1967 ??‍♀️
  • janer1967
    Your welcome 

I empathise I became disabled instantly after having my leg amputated so know how it feels 

It takes a while to come to terms with but glad you are getting support it's something I declined but on reflection wish I had taken up the offer 
  • SOUFIEGAL
    janer1967

I had been going backwards and forth to my doctor for going on two years complaining of numbness and weakness in my legs. 
    I was fobbed off until to lose weight and when I did and nothing changed I was told it’s just ageing. 
    The irony is that there is signs of it all on MRI scan in around 2010. It was clearly visible and not picked up until the week before I had my operation to repair the damage. Which was just before lockdown number 1.
    I’m grateful I got the operation when I did as I’ve been told that I’ve not had it I’d be paralysed now. 
    It’s funny though my GPs will still say no when I ask for physio or a referral to the continence clinic but when I remind them of their error they change their tune. 
    It’s so sad that it’s come to this and yes I am a bit bitter but as you say I’m working on it.
    I’ve already found the scope site helpful already I need some adaptations done to my home and I found out that I will be eligible for VAT relief which is great news.
    So alls well ?
  • janer1967
    Have you been referred for a care needs assessment? 

You can self refer on gov website a OT will do assessment of adaptions and aids you may need and they then supply them 
  • SOUFIEGAL
    I’ve not yet but will do so soon. I may be eligible for the a DFG. But the wait is really long. Need a raised look and bath taken out ASAP 
  • janer1967
    Cant you have a bath lift seat instead that's what I have so i can still enjoy a relaxing bath 
  • SOUFIEGAL
    I could but I prefer showers now. I’ve a bath board but am unsteady in the bath. I’ve slipped an fallen even with the board and grab rail.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I think Jane might be thinking about something like these: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bathing-aids/electric-bath-lifts/  This is just an example, but this company is one of the official suppliers to the NHS & Local Authorities, so hopefully an OT would be able to find something suitable, perhaps as a stopgap whilst waiting for other adaptations?

• SOUFIEGAL
    ah yes I’ve seen some of these before. They’d be a cheaper option. I also need my loo’s raised.
    more thinking, planning and saving to be done 
  • janer1967
    Mine is supplied and free from red cross which my ot organised its replaced every year 
  • SOUFIEGAL
    oh ok I’ll look into that thanks ??
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @SOUFIEGAL and a warm welcome from me.  It's great to hear you found us via Facebook - the wonders of technology eh!

I hope you've had time to browse the community a little, but please let us know if you need any help with anything.

Take care and hope to speak soon  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Just wanted to pop in and wish you a warm welcome @SOUFIEGAL :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness