Hi, my name is happytwinkle! I'm looking for friendships near my age — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is happytwinkle! I'm looking for friendships near my age

happytwinkle
happytwinkle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2021 in Start here and say hello!

Hi. I'm 50, live in West Sussex. I was born deaf (I have partial hearing in my left ear) and suffered from a very rare condition called "Methylmalonic Metabolic Acidemia - MMA" At the age of 13. 5 the MMA caused me to go into a coma and my coma has caused me to be partly brain damaged which affects my great speech difficulty, my movement is slower and I also have Dystonia which causes my muscles spasm/stiffness. I don't let it get me down about my disability and I'm a positive person and have think of other things to do. I am a non-smoker and prefer to meet someone who is a non-smoker too. I have my own PA to take me out three days a week to keep me active and I like going to different places. I'm quite a chatterbox lol ? I love to chat with new people to make new friends. Thank you for reading my profile. Take care.

I'm looking for a very caring, loyal, kind, friendly and patient for friendships near my age, I need someone to have lots of patience with me because of my speech difficulty and my deafness, although I still can speak sometimes, depending on how I am. I can lip-read really well. I have an iPad for a communication aid to help me to communicate with hearing people.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @happytwinkle :) are you looking to make friends within your area or online too? We are a friendly bunch and always love to chat, i have hearing loss too and i find it quite difficult to make friends in-person, online is so much easier :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community and telking us about yourself 

This is more a forum for making friends online rather than in person 

We have general chat as well as more specific disability advice 

You might want to check out our coffee lounge for general discussion and games 

I look forward to seeing you around 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ya at @happytwinkle lots of friendly people here to talk to, join in the conversations or make your own. Look forward to seeing you around.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hello @happytwinkle and welcome to your community.  Thank you for telling us about yourself.  It sounds like you've been through a heck of a lot and I admire your positivity and upbeat personality :)

As the others have mentioned, our online community is a space where members mostly speak online and build friendships in the 'virtual world'.  If you are looking to make friendships 'in the real world' when the restrictions thankfully ease, then you might find The Outsiders Club handy as that is a peer support and dating group (dating not mandatory!) which organises social meet-ups and events.

Having said that, we'd absolutely love to see more of you about on our online community so don't be afraid to get involved.  To get started, you might find browsing our recent discussions or the virtual coffee lounge interesting.  Plus if you have any questions just give us a shout. 

I hope you have a nice Wednesday and speak soon.

Just to add, I've moved your post to our Welcomes and introductions category so others can see you are new and say hello!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • happytwinkle
    happytwinkle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you al for your message and kind words.  I’ve joined the outsiders club before but sadly I don’t get many response from them, so I decided to leave the group. I’m looking for new friends in my area as well as online for chatting. It’s not very easy making new friends because of my deafness, speech impaired and my other disability, I’ve been left out from my own family for many years because of my deafness and my disability they don’t know how to communicate with me and feel embarrassed to be seen with me especially my cowardly brother, and when I was teen, my sister used making fun of my disability and the other problems,  I’m no longer with my sister for good.  My mum was wonderful to me and she raised me for whole my life, she now has Alzheimer’s for 3 years, I just don’t know what to say to her as she’s not the same mum as she used to, and she gets a bit funny in her head, I don’t much luck, which is why I need someone to talk to and make new friends that keeps me happy and I’m trying not to think about what will happen to my mum. Hope you all have a good day despite the horrible weather today. Tkcare. X
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @happytwinkle - & welcome to the community from me too. I really like your user name, which seems to sum you up just perfectly :) I'm sorry the Outsider's club didn't work for you; I imagine, like so many things, it will have been affected by the Covid-19 lockdowns too. Perhaps it might be worth trying again in the future.
    As far as online chatting goes, I'm sure you'll find plenty friendly people here, & we do love to chat!
    I'm sorry to read about your Mum having Alzheimer's now, especially as she sounds to have been so supportive, unlike your siblings. I can understand that you need other adults to talk to, so please do chat here absolutely any time. I hope you can find some people more local to you as we hopefully come out of lockdown. Do you have any interests or hobbies, as you might find some local groups you may be able to join in the future?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

Have you looked for any groups or activities that run in your area . 

Do you have any hobbies or interests that could get you involved with others 

Maybe look at the deaf society to see if they hold any clubs or anything.  When the lockdown is over of course 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community @happytwinkle ?

(nice to see you too @chiarieds ?)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    (Thank you @leeCal - it's good to see you too :)  )
    You really should come & try our virtual 'Coffee lounge' as mentioned @happytwinkle - I'm sure you would enjoy the discussions & word games there. :)
  • megs2019
    megs2019 Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Hi @happytwinkle welcome and how are you  and how are you finding this website  

Brightness