Hi, my name is HelpINeedSomebody! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is HelpINeedSomebody!

HelpINeedSomebody
HelpINeedSomebody Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone ? I’m reading Pete Walkers book and mentioned a couple of forums I’ve not looked at the page yet but I did google and I found here where some of the messages hit him. Hope to connect with helpful beings and return me to myself. I know this is a process but progress is better than congress. Hope you are all well as can be ??

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @HelpINeedSomebody and thank you for joining us! I'm not too bad thank you, how have you been doing? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hello @HelpINeedSomebody ??? nice to meet you! Hope you find all you need from the forum! Take care and stay safe! ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Feel free to join in or ask any questions 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @HelpINeedSomebody - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community. Thank you, I'm doing OK, & hope you are the same. I hope we can all help support you in whatever way we can, & it's great you have found, &  joined this forum. So, may I ask how are you? :)
  • HelpINeedSomebody
    HelpINeedSomebody Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank yous ? I think it’s fair to say I’ve been better, I’m glad I got Petes book as it’s giving me more insight to understanding who why and where I am at. I’ve been interested intrigued and effected by Trauma. I started listening to Gabor Matè 6/7 years ago and the book In The Realms Of Hungry Ghosts :- Close encounters with addiction. That really opened my eyes to what trauma was. I’m on a waiting list to see a therapist who deals with cptsd and I think that’s going to be next year by the feeling of their message. I thought I’ll start this page up I tried the name helpme but someone already had that. I have been getting life coaching, Mindfuleness, hypnotherapy over the past year. I have to say the best thing passed down is how to breathe properly. Once the right amount of oxygen in the body it’s a natural high maybe from the nitrogen but it sure is better being locked In the addiction of negative thinking. How has your days been? Do yous mind if I ask what yous do to ground yourself in the midst of the inner critic’s showdown?

Kindest Regards

Only Me

Mark ? 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HelpINeedSomebody and a warm welcome to our community, how's your day going?

It sounds like you've been doing a lot of reading around trauma and Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and it's good to know you're on the waiting list to see a therapist.  The waiting list times for all mental health services are unfortunately quite lengthy at the moment, so if you ever reach a point where you think it would be useful to speak with someone about your thoughts, please call:
    • Text 'SHOUT' to 85258 to speak with a trained crisis volunteer from SHOUT
    I'm familiar with some of Gabor Matè's work, through listening to podcasts and videos, and have found his words bring a lot of clarity around the struggles of the ego.  My inner critic can be particularly noisy (!) and honestly, it's not easy to tame at times.  I find returning to what brings me peace most helpful, and that's walking, being in green open spaces and sharing my thoughts with those close to me (and realising they aren't that different to what others feel - common humanity) are really good for the soul.  What about you?

I hope you're having a lovely Tuesday and look forward to speaking again soon :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HelpINeedSomebody - I certainly relate to breathing properly (diaphragmatic breathing). It's something I used to teach as a physio, & I quite often post the following link about it on here. I use this personally to aid relaxation & it's one of the main things I find helpful. I also use mindfulness. See: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf

Brightness