I have SB. As I get older, I'm starting to develop other things e.g. digestive issues. Anyone else? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have SB. As I get older, I'm starting to develop other things e.g. digestive issues. Anyone else?

Options
micheleholmes
micheleholmes Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hi im 58 I have SB I have done ok most of my life just a few operations to straighten me up now I just walk with a limp. As I get older however things are starting to develop more than my friends and I wonder if it is to do with SB   Digestive issues mainly. Anybody else the same 

Comments

• JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @micheleholmes and welcome to the online community.  I'm sure you will find this 'place' to be both informative and supportive.

I have CP, not had any operations, but perhaps am a little twisted.  I used to eat very well, but now I am conscious that when I eat I need to concentrate otherwise things do go awry.  

I think there are many impairments that are not officially deemed 'degenerative' but actually they are.  Ironically, on a personal level, I think I am paying for the 'sins' of being independent minded when I was younger.  Now my body creaks and complains, where before it would just do as I said!!!!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @micheleholmes

A very warm welcome to the forum and Scope community.

I am afraid I do not have SB . I have mild CP  but I can understand what you say about ageing with a health condition . It can feel as if you are in a different time zone to your friends, can't it, when they are more active than you or do not have the same health concerns.

I hope you find the forum really useful and that you get some replies from others with SB.      

Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @micheleholmes :) How are you doing today? 

Thanks for posting about this. By SB, do you mean spina bifida? If so, the NHS website does suggest that some people with spina bifida can experience problems with their bowels. Does that sound familiar to the digestive issues you've mentioned? 
    Bowel problems

The nerves that run through the spinal cord also control the bowel and the sphincter muscles that keep poo in the bowel.

Many people with spina bifida have limited or no control over their sphincter muscles and have bowel incontinence.

Bowel incontinence often leads to periods of constipation followed by episodes of diarrhoea or soiling.
    You may also find this page on being an adult with spina bifida on SHINE's website helpful. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness