Lump sum pension withdrawal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lump sum pension withdrawal

Options
berry61
berry61 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
Hi everyone, 

I asked a week ago about withdrawal of a lump sum from my private pension pot instead of taking a weekly/monthly amount.
 I read the reply  from poppy123456 about a lump could be taken that would be considered savings.
Am I correct from the reply given that a lump sum upto £6000 would be considered as savings ?

When I have made a withdrawal in the past before we were claiming U.C  the pension company has to automatically Inform HMRC about  this amount and they take it into account regarding whether tax will be deducted from the lump sum  depending on current earnings for that tax year.

So can I assume that if I take a lump sum of £6000 and have no other savings at all in bank accounts etc then this wouldn't affect our U.C

Also are there any special circumstances that U.C allows regards the use of a lump sum pension withdrawal.....say  if I took a lump sum from my pension pot and immediately used that full amount to pay off my debt such as credit cards and i could provide the  proof the money was used for that.

Myself and my wife are in receipt of U.C as a couple over 25, receiving the carers element and Transistional protection from WTC.
We both receive the standard daily living and standard mobility of PIP.

I am currently on week 2 of  long term ssp after surgery and my wife works 16 hours per week.

Any advice would be appreciated 
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    berry61 said:

So can I assume that if I take a lump sum of £6000 and have no other savings at all in bank accounts etc then this wouldn't affect our U.C

Yes, that's correct. 
    berry61 said:

Also are there any special circumstances that U.C allows regards the use of a lump sum pension withdrawal.....say  if I took a lump sum from my pension pot and immediately used that full amount to pay off my debt such as credit cards and i could provide the  proof the money was used for that.

Capital of up to £6,000 are ignored anyway. Even if you had more than £6,000 paying off debt is also allowed when claiming UC and will not be treated as deprivation of capital. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • berry61
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Poppy,  your a god send on this forum ..

So could I withdraw more than the £6000 then if i told and proved to UC that i have used it to paid debts off ?

Also how would I actually  inform UC about it, either before i was going to do it or when the mo ey has actually landed in my bank account, and how would i word it say on my journal, or would they automatically be notified via HMRC or maybe via  PAYE whilst I'm still receiving ssp.

I just want to do it correctly without getting into trouble with triggering overpayments etc 

Thanks 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you considered getting an appt with "pension wise" via CAB they give excellent advice on pensions including their affect on benefits.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• berry61
    Options
    Hello woodbine, thanks for the reply. I did see pension wise when I had options with my pension once I was 55 but not since. I wasn't sure they would have the knowledge regards how pension would affect benefits 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    berry61 said:
    Hello woodbine, thanks for the reply. I did see pension wise when I had options with my pension once I was 55 but not since. I wasn't sure they would have the knowledge regards how pension would affect benefits 
    I can only go from personal experience when I say that they did.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• berry61
    Options
    Ok thanks for that help
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, you can withdraw more than £6,000. You will need to report it once the money goes into your bank. UC can't action something before it happens. Report a change of circumstances and then click, money, savings and investments. 

Your UC entitlement is based on your circumstances on the last day of each assessment period. If the money goes into and out of your bank before the last day of your assessment period then there will be no affect on your UC. Paying off debt is allowed so just tell them what you did with the money, if they ask, which they may if it's more than £6,000. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • berry61
    Options
    That's great poppy thanks again
  • berry61
    Options
    Poppy would a withdrawal as above affect any council tax reduction. As we are now on UC and I am get ssp we have applied for a council tax reduction to see if we are entitled to any, not had the result yet.

Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    All local Authorities have their own rules and some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement to Council Tax reduction ends. You will need to check their website to see what the rules are in your LA. 
  • berry61
    Options
    Thanks for the advice poppy I will look into that.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome ☺️ 
  • berry61
    Options
    I have just downloaded a pdf of the council tax reduction scheme from my LA website. Its very complex to understand to be honest, written in legal jargon so I will contact the help line after the Easter break and ask the relevant question.

Thanks
  • berry61
    Options
    Hi Poppy123456,

Just to update you on the council tax reduction we applied for at our Local council. After completing and providing all the information requested we are not entitled to any discount.
    They take into account my wife's 16 hours work per week, my ssp, and the amount of universal credit entitlement and we are above the earnings threshold.
    They don't take into account our PIP amounts we receive.

Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This is one thing I can't advise on because all local Authorities have their own rules for CTR. 
  • berry61
    Options
    Thanks i understand poppy

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.