ESA. What is a Compliance Officer? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA. What is a Compliance Officer?

Options
kirsty68
kirsty68 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello all I’m new here, Well today I received a Letter from the DWP Compliance Officer.. I’ve never heard of them and on the letter they have got my Title wrong they put Miss and I am a MS also it does not state my national insurance number and a random mobile number to call them at the bottom, Could this be bogus as I wouldn’t of thought DWP would have got my Title wrong, Could anyone explain what a Compliance Officer is too please Thank you all :) .

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @kirsty68 :) Thank you for joining us!

As far as I understand, Compliance Officers check whether people are claiming the right benefits, and that their circumstances haven't changed. 

I can imagine that getting a letter out of the blue might be confusing and concerning, and it's important to stay vigilant with so many scams about. 

Perhaps you could ring the relevant DWP office, and check whether this is legitimate? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • kirsty68
    Options
    Welcome to the community @kirsty68 :) Thank you for joining us!

As far as I understand, Compliance Officers check whether people are claiming the right benefits, and that their circumstances haven't changed. 

I can imagine that getting a letter out of the blue might be confusing and concerning, and it's important to stay vigilant with so many scams about. 

Perhaps you could ring the relevant DWP office, and check whether this is legitimate? 
    Thank you for your reply, I am abit suspicious as the Text Phone Number is just a lot of 0’s too, I tried to call ESA earlier and could not get through, I will try again tomorrow, On the back of the letter it’s saying have Bank Statements ready and all sorts, I will not be giving my details out over the telephone to a stranger. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,723 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think calling you Miss instead of Ms is any indication that this is a scam. I like to be known as Ms too but DWP usually send letters addressed to Miss.

Yes, it's usually a mobile number they ask you to ring when ringing the number on the letter. If bank statements are needed they will likely ask you to send them to DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kirsty68
    Options
    I don't think calling you Miss instead of Ms is any indication that this is a scam. I like to be known as Ms too but DWP usually send letters addressed to Miss.

Yes, it's usually a mobile number they ask you to ring when ringing the number on the letter. If bank statements are needed they will likely ask you to send them to DWP.
    Thank you, I will still call and double check with them, I have no idea how I can send them bank statements as mine are online so they’ll have to accept a screenshot or wait a few weeks for them :) 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    ESA may not have any information about the compliance interview so please be aware of that. If bank statements are needed then they will allow time for you to send them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kirsty68

I hope you get it sorted. I thought all letters from DWP had your national insurance number on it.

Off course I could be totally wrong, as so much things are changing 

Good Luck 
  • kirsty68
    Options
    Lou67 said:
    Hi @kirsty68

I hope you get it sorted. I thought all letters from DWP had your national insurance number on it.

Off course I could be totally wrong, as so much things are changing 

Good Luck 
    That’s what I thought, No national insurance number in sight, All there is, is a Reference number, seems abit odd to me to be honest.
  • Lou67
    Options
    @kirsty68

I would try phoning the number you’v got, and the ESA number they might be able to help. It’s worth a try.
    Best to phone first thing at 9 when they open.

I hope you get to the bottom off it I would also be anxious.

Take care ❤️
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I've never had a compliance interview letter so i don't know if there's usually your NI number on it. A reference number will link it to you though.

I do know that usually the number to ring will be directly to the compliance officer.

• kirsty68
    Options
    I've never had a compliance interview letter so i don't know if there's usually your NI number on it. A reference number will link it to you though.

I do know that usually the number to ring will be directly to the compliance officer.

Perhaps I’m just worrying because this has never happened to me before, I just requested my bank statements just incase :)
  • Lou67
    Options
    @kirsty68

Yes Iv never had one either, so sorry I’m just guessing.

Just with that many scams going about it’s frightening. I hope you get it sorted.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    We have a couple of members that have had a compliance interview that are still active. Actually someone received one quite  recently. 
    Hopefully they will comment if they see this. They will be able to tell you for certain if the number to ring is a mobile, I’m fairly certain it is. 
  • kirsty68
    Options
    Danny123 said:
    @kirsty68 there seems to be alot of these complience checks happening I think they are checking alot of people that claimed during the height of the pandemic , I don't know uf that was the case or not for you , they do do random Checks aswell 
    I’ve been claiming esa for around 5 years now as I had a Stroke, I haven’t heard anything from them since I made my claim, perhaps it’s just a routine check who knows 😣
  • libbybow
    libbybow Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    Options
    Just got the same letter 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    libbybow said:
    Just got the same letter 

Please see my advice on the other thread you posted the same comment on. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/93934/my-partners-received-a-dwp-notice-of-compliance-interview-letter-is-this-a-scam#latest

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.