Working after Ill Health Retirement. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working after Ill Health Retirement.

Options
neilgolder
neilgolder Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2023 in Work and employment
Hi all
Simple question hopefully, I’m in receipt of an Ill health retirement pension. Am I allowed to do paid work as long as it isn’t the same job that I was retired from? 
Best wishes
Neil
Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hi @neilgolder. Welcome to Scope's community. It is great to see you have joined us. Thank you for already finding the courage to reach out to us. 

I am hoping someone with more knowledge/experience in this area can respond to you soon.

In the meantime, I just wanted to respond to greet you and let you know we hear you. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @neilgolder I am sorry I don’t have any answers for you. I just nudged in to give you a warm welcome from me. 
    I hope to see you in our coffee lounge. We serve tea as well x
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,619 Pioneering
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @neilgolder

Yes of course you can 
    Just not for the same job as you left - even with the same employer 
    You are medically retired from a particular job not employer 
    I did just this for 10 years and finally even managed to get ill heath retirement from the second employer 
  • Mikecd
    Mikecd Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Hi all
    Simple question hopefully, I’m in receipt of an Ill health retirement pension. Am I allowed to do paid work as long as it isn’t the same job that I was retired from? 
    Best wishes
    Neil

Hi Neil,

I am also ill health retired and in reciept of a local gov pension, never my intention for this to happen just life.

Anyway, yes you should be able to work. I have retrained and looking for work myself, about ten years ago I contacted my pension department and they said that there was no longer any restriction on how many hours I could do, although part time would be enough.

So this is what I have found, I hope it helps you: -

"Typically, it will be a condition that means you can no longer continue to work in your normal job, or one that seriously reduces your earning potential. Your pension scheme may also set its own criteria as to what conditions would entitle you to draw your pension early."

Click the Link to see artical Here 
  • jabbers1
    jabbers1 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    Hi there folks. Can anyone advise me how ill health retirement works. Due to ill health, I am faced with the real possibility of having to leave a job that I enjoy, that pays a reasonably good wage. If I am offered another job within my organisation through redeployment, that pays much less, would I need to accept that or  would this allow me to medically retire from my current post, receive a pension and do a lesser paid job within the same company? Thanks in advance for any advice. 
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    Options

Hello @jabbers1

Seek clarity on whether your situation qualifies as ill health retirement or whether it involves a change in job roles due to a health concern.

Some companies might have established guidelines to support employees dealing with health problems, which could involve providing them with alternative job opportunities. In contrast, other companies might follow a structured procedure for employees seeking retirement due to ill health. Engage in a candid discussion with your employer to determine the most suitable course of action for both your well-being and financial stability.

• jabbers1
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice. I’m currently off sick and have spoke with my Union who have advised me to stay off sick. He will speak to HR for me about possible redeployment. However my concern is that I’m moved from my current job, which as I said, pays relatively well, to a much lower role, which pays much less. I’m struggling financially just now due to the extra cost due to family pressures and my disability. I was wondering if anyone had been in this position and whether there are any rules around possible alternative redeployment.  
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Options
    I was in the same situation, a while ago, and I was better off asking for reasonable adjustments under the Equalities Act, which allowed me to continue in the job and undertake an Access to Work evaluation, so it is wise to get professional advice before making any decisions 
  • jabbers1
    Options
    Thanks DKB. The issue I have is that my current role requires me to work a backshift on fi an early shift twice per week. Due do having ME/CFS, as well as other disabilities, this leaves me exhausted and triggers major symptoms of anxiety/ depression. I have a highly stressful job and it’s just fo much for me. The only way I can see around this is by asking for a constant day shift, however as my organisation doesn’t have a constant day shift, my fear is that the offer me a lesser paid sold in another post and if I don’t accept that I could possibly be left without a job, if I’ve already told them I’m not fit to to my current list. I’m kinda tying myself in knots with all this 🥺
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Options
    get professional advice, Access to work is designed for your situation, and your employer has to be flexible, and offer reasonable adjustments so if you have to work on the day shift all the time that is, I would say is reasonable, they can't downgrade you or reduce your pay as that would be constructive dismissal, are you a member of a Union, or if not go to the CAB or a good advice centre, the Local Council will signpost you to one and dont worry many people find themselves in this situation ,and you have protection rights ,most employers will accomadate you and you have the eqaulites law on your side 
  • jabbers1
    Options
    That’s sounds promising! So should I contact access to work too ? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.