Financial help for parents with CP toddler — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Financial help for parents with CP toddler

jennierose9 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

My one year old son has just been diagnosed with spastic cerebral palsy, which effects both sides of this brain/body. He is currently seeing an occupational therapist, physiotherapist & paediatrician regularly and has just been prescribed baclofen medicine. He is 14 months old and is not able to sit unaided yet although we have hope. Given the extra care needed to look after him, with a daily exercise routine, regular medication and lots of play therapy, are we entitled to extra financial support at his age? I’d love to be able to put the money towards extra physio and hydrotherapy classes.



  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,614 Scope online community team
    Hi @jennierose9
    Good to meet you and a warm welcome to the community.

    I would like to signpost you to some resources on the Scope website:

     Cerebral Palsy

     Parent Guide 

    You can make a claim for disability living allowance (DLA) as your son is under 16 years old.  

    We also have a range of family services that you might find helpful. There are lots of people in the community that live with CP and other parents, I have CP myself. If you have any questions please let us know 


    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @jennierose9
                                Welcome to the community and thank you for joining us. I can see that our wonderful Specialist Information Officer for Cerebral Palsy @Richard_Scope has replied with some useful information. I too was also going to suggest Disability Living Allowance as your son is under 16. I also have Cerebral Palsy so if you have any questions you feel you would like to ask then please do and we will try our best to answer them. Thank you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Welcome to the community @jennierose9. :) Great to have you with us.

    You also might want to have a look at Family Fund who are a charity that can provide financial support for families with disabled children.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.