I should've been entitled to SDP since 2019. My claim needs to be rebuilt. Will I still get ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I should've been entitled to SDP since 2019. My claim needs to be rebuilt. Will I still get ESA?

Options
danro90
danro90 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
So I recently found out I've been entitled to SDP from the feb2019 ....I was told last week it had to be authorised by someone higher up as its a large sum of money and now today im being told my whole claim has "broken" (thats the term they used) and it needs to be rebuilt as its now "clerical" im so confused by what this all even means, the woman I spoke to was so rude about it all to me and its really caused my anxiety to go through the roof ...she said it could be weeks till its all sorted out and im stressing out and have to "just wait"....but they also said my backpay is "currently being checked"...how is my claim affected now? If anyones been through the same, will I still be paid my ESA as usual? & lastly, not as important but if anyone knows how long did it take before getting paid the owed money from SDP?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @danro90 - welcome to the community. I'm sorry about the distress this must have caused. I would suggest calling again, as you could ring 3 of these call handlers & get 3 different answers. Hopefully you'll get someone more helpful, who can tell you more precisely what's going on. Your claim sounds like it's being looked at to authorise how much money you're owed, & your normal ESA payment will be completely separate from sorting out your SDP, so will be paid as usual. I'm afraid I don't know when you'll receive the money owed because of the SDP, but you can only enquire again.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Clerical basically means that it is being done manually and not by the computer for whatever reason.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• danro90
    Options
    Hi thanks for the response...I've spoke to 3 different people about it and 2 last week told me similar and told me to ring up this week if i hadn't heard anything & the 3rd person today was really rude to me and wouldn't tell me much which has left me confused...she said my claim has been removed off the system and needs to be rebuilt as it's now clerical...I dont know what that means? From searching im not getting good things, people having to ring up every pay day to request payments...its really stressing me out now...ill try ring again tomorrow 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Most people you will speak to when you call will be call handlers that are outsourced and wont be DWP staff, so the majority of the time they don't even know what they are talking about. 

Unfortunately it is a waiting game and you will just have to wait until they have done what is needed and then the claim for SDP will be processed. 

I don't see an issue with calling again, but just remember you will be talking to a call handler, and if you don't understand a term they are using, tell them so and ask for clarification. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @danro90

Welcome to the community, good to see you join us. Sorry to hear of the inconvenience this has caused you, and hopefully it can be cleared up soon.

Hope the above replies have helped.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • danro90
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, im going to ring tomorrow and get a better explanation hopefully, im not fussed about waiting for the SDP it'll get to me when its ready, i just thought I'd ask about it while im on here..my main worry was about my esa claim, I dont want it to mess up on me, I struggle to cope with any slight changes in my life so its just threw me off abit...
  • danro90
    Options
    Just thought I'd update incase anyone else goes through similar.....spoke to a proper DWP person yesterday and got everything explained properly then got another call again today saying its all been checked and processed and will be paid my arrears by tuesday and my ESA is being rebuilt back onto the system :smiley:
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for your update @danro90 - pleased things are getting sorted for you. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    danro90 said:
    Just thought I'd update incase anyone else goes through similar.....spoke to a proper DWP person yesterday and got everything explained properly then got another call again today saying its all been checked and processed and will be paid my arrears by tuesday and my ESA is being rebuilt back onto the system :smiley:
    Thanks for the update, that's good news.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.