Was refused PIP, but think I should've got it. I complained about assessor but unhappy with response — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Was refused PIP, but think I should've got it. I complained about assessor but unhappy with response

Options
paulg1066
paulg1066 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I would like help with as I am refused PIP but feel strongly that I should get it.Also I put in a complaint against one of there assesors and have had 2 letters back saying they are looking in to it but I am still not happy with there responses and would like to take it further if possible.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @paulg1066 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry you feel let down over your PIP claim. You can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration within a month of the date on your decision letter (up to 13 months with good reason), & another decision maker will look at all your evidence again.
    I'm also sorry that you feel there was a problem with the assessor; unfortunately you won't be the first, but sometimes it's difficult to realise that they write up their own opinion, not just what you say.
    Ideally you should put the assessor's report behind you, & concentrate on your PIP claim, looking at where you should have got points & why. This is best illustrated by giving a couple of detailed real life examples of the difficulties you face for each applicable activity/descriptor, i.e. say when you did/attempted the activity, what exactly happened, why, did anyone see you try, & how did it leave you feeling afterwards? Also say if you can do an activity 'reliably' or not, i.e. safely, can you repeat it as often as could be reasonably expected, can you do it to an acceptable standard, & does it take you longer than a person that isn't disabled?
    A Mandatory Reconsideration should be put in writing, either by letter, putting your name & National Insurance number on each page, or by using this form: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF
    Please do come back with any questions.
  • paulg1066
    Options
    regarding the PIP this was a mandatory reconsideration so I need help to put an appeal in

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would be good if you could get a representative to help you with an appeal. Have a look here: https://advicelocal.uk/   There may be a Welfare Rights Office, or Citizens Advice near you.
    The success rate is higher with appeals, but a rep would certainly be advantageous.
  • Sam01
    Sam01 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, perhaps I could help you build a convincing case. What were the problems you raised in your claim that they disagreed with? Did you score any points?
  • paulg1066
    Options
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @paulg1066, while looking at news feeds on my phone daily there is information about what people could get by claiming PIP. There is no or very limited information about the process of claiming and what the criteria is in relation to the PIP descriptors.  When you applied for PIP you filled in the application form giving details of your inabilities in preforming the descriptors. It’s from these answers and those you gave at your assessment over the phone or face 2 face that the HP as decided that you don’t meet the criteria for being awarded PIP. So many apply on being given a false impression that they could claim PIP when in reality they don’t meet the claiming criteria, they when they don’t receive an award they blame the system the HPs ect when they should not applied in the first place. Yes it’s had to read but sometimes the truth has to be said .

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.