Positive look at the last year — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Positive look at the last year

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
I can't believe it's nearly 2023!!!
Looking back at the last year what positive things have happened in your life?

I'm pretty guilty of always looking for the negative in stuff and without sounding too cliche, I've realised it feeds into just more negativity. A hard cycle to break.

It's really easy to dwell on the negatives and I know we all have a LOT of stuff going on, but there are small positives I'm sure everyone can find, even if it's just a meal we enjoyed or a small interaction that went well, or huge things like a holiday or @janer1967 getting engaged!!!

I'll add some more later as I think off but mine so far:

- I got a free Hello Fresh box and tried some actual cooking and it wasn't all a disaster. 
- With just one exception I put my rubbish out all year on the right days
- Finding this forum. There's lots of people on here that really brighten my day and it's helped me more than I can put into words.
- I've tried more new foods. Not as many as I set myself as a target but more than I thought I would. Go me!!
- I've had food / drink / heating / electric etc all year. I know not everyone has been as lucky and there have been years when I've struggled for all of these so I'm really thankful this year I've been fine. 
- I like who I am as a person more. I've learned a lot about myself this year and understand myself better <3

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Big positive would be having my first cataract op done, second one sometime in the new year, big negative that despite running the country literally into the ground the Tories are still in govt.

If I'm honest I'm usually as upbeat as possible about this country but sadly no longer the case as it's gone to the dogs now and is almost beyond repair.
    I'm sat here trying my best to think of positives and failing miserably.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What a good threat to start @Biblioklept and a lovely list of positives you've shared. I'm glad finding the community has been one such positive for you  :)

And I'm sure that first cataract op has made a big difference @woodbine, hopefully you'll get a date for the second one soon!

One positive for me this year would be managing to live more independently (although with my partner), it's been a big step moving from the parents home to somewhere new, and something I would never have imagined at the start of 2022.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One of my biggest positive things thats happened for me this year is excepting the fact that i can no longer work.
    I have always worked with my condition, yes it was hard some times, but it was my way of not letting it beat me and i did enjoy going out to work. My condition took a turn for the worse two years ago and i had to go on long term sick, i was still hoping to go back, but alas no magic cure and i felt i was letting people down. So i came to the decision to take early retirement, my body has thanked me for it and i have excepted the new stage in my life.

Finding Scope Forum has been the best thing since sliced bread for me, i have met some beautiful people, whose demons are a lot worse then mine and the help/friendship is of the scale for me - so i thank you all for this experience.

Of course the currant climate as been hard for hundreds of people, so i am so grateful to have a roof over my head and food on the table. x
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,734 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nice to hear about the positive things that has happened to everyone this year. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,903 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Possitves this year a new grandaughter came into our lives. 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,734 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Possitves this year a new grandaughter came into our lives. 
    Congratulations 
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options
    My positives are 
    I got to celebrate my 21st birthday on a cruise.
    I'm working in one of scopes retail shops
    I have become a member of Scope thanks to the lovely @Giovanni_Scope
    I have received no chocolate this year for Christmas. 
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Giovanni_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    Happy new year, @durhamjaide2001 and all other Scope members in the online community :-)

Giovanni Gaetani (he/him)
    Membership Programme Lead
    Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options
    Happy new year, @durhamjaide2001 and all other Scope members in the online community :-)

Thank you see you on the 9th of January 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Happy New Year! :) I love this post @Biblioklept

I think the two biggest positives for me have been having my second stoma surgery and getting a job here at Scope :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Talking of your work @Hannah_Scope please don't answer if it's inappropriate i have scope on my f/b is that you with the beautiful red hair x
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not me, but I'm sure the person on Facebook would be so happy to know you love their red hair :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a lovely comment, thanks @ada :) 

A couple of mine that spring to mind are:
    • getting a hair cut I'd wanted for a while, but hadn't had the courage to get
    • spending less on takeaways
    • making some improvements to my health
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a lovely comment, thanks @ada :) 

A couple of mine that spring to mind are:
    • getting a hair cut I'd wanted for a while, but hadn't had the courage to get
    • spending less on takeaways
    • making some improvements to my health
    Is it similar to your new profile picture @Tori_Scope?? I don't know how much they reflect what you all look like but the hair is a huge change to what you had before. Well done to take the plunge <3 
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Some big positives for me would be getting my A in my vocational course, getting my second foot correction op, becoming an auntie, learning to drive and getting the train on my own for the first time. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Haha, it was the closest one I could find @Biblioklept! It's a short cut, with curtains at the front, I'd say. Definitely a big change, but I don't regret it at all.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Hilbil
    Hilbil Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options
    The first year for 8 years there was no surgery!! My osteoarthritis  was taken seriously and PIP granted. My family knew how much pain I was in. Transferring to a new Doctor treatment was put in place even a phone call out or the blue by her to find out how I was doing on the new meds. Here is to a more or less pain free 2023!!!

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    Positives in '22 were being in better health and only going to hospital once. Admittedly They did keep me in for all of Feb, but that enabled me to lose 13kg. 

Moving in to a flat that I really love in a neighbourhood that I like and know. I thank my lucky stars for the flat because housing in Central London (and I guess elsewhere) is in crisis. I have good neighbours and there is always someone to have a chat with.

Starting a new very complicated project with a massive learning curve. It will probably never come to fruition, but it gives me something to do, gets my brain working, and occupies me. I have started to make homemade bread again, so I get a daily treat. All in all, managing to stay quite busy and not feeling isolated or lonely. Joining Scope has helped enormously in this respect and i feel much more positive about the future now than I did in '21.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.