Life getting you down? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Life getting you down?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger

I found this article helpful in the past and I hope it might help others who are feeling stuck, stressed, hopeless or that life is just feeling tough right now. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/05/life-getting-you-down-learn-to-bounce-back

Comments

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 567 Pioneering
    Options
    @Biblioklept You always do wonderful thought provoking posts. The Guardian is a really good newspaper, it has been around for years (since I was young) and is refreshingly dissimilar from The Daily Mail and Fogeygraph/Torygraph.

The article is full of good advice.  Thanks for pointing it out. You have got to stay strong and look forward to better times, otherwise what is the point?
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Steve_in_The_City thank you for such a sweet reply and I'm glad you like the article <3 I hope you are feeling good! 
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    @Biblioklept I feel fine, thank you, and I hope you are ok too. The Guardian article is really about positive thinking. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @Biblioklept Some very interesting points on 'check your thinking' :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @Biblioklept      The Guardian article is really about positive thinking. In 1978 Shakti Gawain's masterpiece "Creative Visualization" was published. In the book you are required to visualise things in pictures, like you are dreaming. But we all imagine things in different ways; for me, it is emotional and conversational. I imagine I am talking to someone (usually Streisand, Bassey or Tomasz) and I am telling them that my problem is resolved and I hear them encouraging me and saying well done. It works! So when life gets you down you have to imagine that matters are better, and they will be. When I became physically disabled in 2016 (I was declared disabled due to an invisible disability in 2004) I kept imaging that I could cope, and thus I have.

I had the most beautiful and wondrous dream. In the dream I was walking along a moon-lit bay at night. The waves were lapping gently at the shore and I felt terrific. Pegasus winged his way down from the heavens and trotted along beside me. Sitting on his back was Streisand. She sang the most beautiful love song to me. I can't remember the lyric; it was after all just a dream. But when I woke up I felt the emotion. It ripped my heart asunder. But from the love song I just knew matters would turn out well, and they have. So as Streisand sings in the album Walls, just imagine.  Just imagine, it is all you have to do and life comes good.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.