Help! I Need Advice. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help! I Need Advice.

Options
SteveJF7
SteveJF7 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
edited January 2023 in Coffee lounge
Hi, Please could anyone tell me which category is the most appropriate to discuss friendships? 

Also, the background on my screen turned from white to dark! How do I reverse it? 

Cheers. 

Comments

• SteveJF7
    Options
    I have since found the answer regarding my second question. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @SteveJF7

I'm glad you got there with switching off dark mode. If you'd like to post about friendships right here in our coffee lounge, that would be absolutely fine. 

Please don't worry about posting in the 'wrong' category either, us admin can always move it and we understand for topics like friendship there isn't a dedicated category so it can be confusing.

I hope you have a lovely Friday. Hopefully speak again soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • SteveJF7
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thanks @Cher_Scope.

Ok, l wanted to know if others with a disability feel left out when in a group of able-bodied friends? I think it depends on the disability. 

For example: l was out with a group of friends at the weekend. I'm was only one with a disability. One member was asking the rest of the group individually if they were interested in taking part in a quiz night. All well and good but l didn't get asked! I don't know why I was excluded at the time? 

This is not the first instance I feel this way. There were times I was giving advice to the same friends and was ignored. Maybe l making too much of it but who knows? 

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SteveJF7 welcome to the forum. I find freinds without disabilities don't understand how much we have to cope and adapt. Also may never know as they don't find out. My external family don't have a clue. 
    This forum everyone has their own struggles in different ways, but we all know the how it is, so we all support each other.  So feel free to join in and make virtual freinds.
  • SteveJF7
    Options
    I sometimes think that my friends don't give me enough credit for my intelligence? 🙂
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @SteveJF7 I'm sorry to hear you didn't get asked to the quiz night! Is it somewhere local or virtual? And is there someone in the group you're closer to you could ask about being involved? 

Very often, when people aren't directly impacted by impairment or disability they can make assumptions about what a person can or can't do.

A lot of the time this isn't intentional, but it's the way society has viewed disabled people for centuries- under the medical model way of thinking we are othered, separate and viewed as less important or valued. 

We can all challenge these negative assumptions and stereotypes with the social model. It can be hard to feel like our voices are being heard sometimes. If you feel comfortable maybe chat about how you're feeling with them, or whoever you're closest with?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.