Disabled cllr in Wales knits during council meeting. What do people think? meeting — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled cllr in Wales knits during council meeting. What do people think? meeting

Options
daz2
daz2 Community member, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 122 Pioneering

Comments

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm not speaking on behalf of Scope.

Just my personal opinion. A lot of people knit, it isn't something that you need to look at whilst knitting. It can be therapeutic, ease stress and heighten concentration.

As long as she was paying attention to the thrust of the meeting. Let's look at the House of Commons, there is all manner of distraction i.e. Twitter etc. 

Tom Daley (Diver) knits during breaks in competition. 
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    The knitting shown in the article isn't a complicated piece.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone doing this during a meeting.  It's something you can put down and stop in a second if you need to make a point or listen more closely. 

I perfectly understand that it helps her mind to focus and distracts her from her pain.   I do the same thing myself.   I make my miniatures and I do petit point embroidery.  Both help me to cope with my arthritis pain and give me something else to focus on.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this article @daz2 and for sharing your opinions @rebel11 and @ShirleyW, I definitely agree that for many, keeping your hands occupied helps to focus the mind and can also calm any anxieties. 

It's a little unreasonable to expect everyone's attention to be 100% fixed on a meeting over video call, as they can be very draining mentally. The councillor who thinks it's an 'abuse' of hybrid working perhaps lacks a little empathy and understanding of neurodiversity and other long term health conditions.   
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That  sounds awesome 
  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    I have to say that I know in part, how she feels and i think it should be perfectly ok to do this.

I crochet, sometimes, I cannot focus even on watching the TV without doing something else (like crochet, or something else).  If I am doing an online course, I also like to be doing something else at the same time, it makes it easier to focus.  I don't suffer from the pain this lady mentioned, but it has to do with my concentration.

So I get it and I think it should be totally acceptable.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.