I am hoping that somebody might be able to give me some advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am hoping that somebody might be able to give me some advice

beezley Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I am hoping that somebody might be able to give me some advice.

My mum is 77 years old and has been looking after my 56 year old, older brother for 22 years after a car accident that has left him paralysed on the left side, brain damaged and needs 24/7 care.

How my mum has done this I don't know, I am just in awe and completely humbled by it.

He gets high rate disability and my mum gets her pension and pension credit (she may possibly get a top up she said not sure). My mum does not want him going into a care home so I have said that I will come to live with them and help, possibly become his main carer if that works out to be financially better.

My mum owns the house outright has limited savings as does my brother and myself. I am 52 years old in relatively good health apart from a recurring back injury after working in Landscaping most of my adult life.

We are worried that me moving in will create extra expense with council tax, loss of benefits or other unforseen expenses, I am just trying to help as this is getting to much for mum now.

Any advice, I would be most grateful.

thankyou x


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 10,414 Disability Gamechanger
    Seasons greetings to one and all 🎄🎅🏻🌲
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 1
    You need to look at her Pension Credit award to see how it is made up. 

    Does she receive a disability benefit herself?

    You should see if she gets a carer premium. She could get this in her PC if she claims Carers Allowance. She will not be paid it but will establish an ‘underlying entitlement’.

    If your brother has been disregarded from the Council Tax because he has Severe Mental Impairment she will be getting a single person discount which she will lose if you move in. However she is presumably getting Council Tax Reduction and that will be adjusted to reflect the CT due, but in calculating CTR you will be assumed to contribute towards the CT bill.

    Will you be giving up the property you currently live in?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • beezley
    beezley Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited February 2
    Thank you so much replying,

    Does she receive a disability benefit herself?

    No she does not.

    Regarding the carer premium, I think she mentioned she gets a bit extra as she does care for my brother although she is on a pension with pension credit. My mum's council tax bill at the moment is zero with all council tax reductions.

    Will you be giving up the property you currently live in?

    Yes I currently rent a flat and will be giving it up.

    Thanks again for replying x

  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,879 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @beezley

    I just wanted to check in and see if everything is going ok? Did you move in?
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Breacon
    Breacon Community member Posts: 101 Courageous
    How fantastic, that you are prepared to assist your Mum, with your brothers care needs.
    Lovely to hear, Good luck, I'm sure your Mum will appreciate the help & support.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.