Council Tax Support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax Support

Options
Autism_at_40
Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
Hello,
I have just moved and I am trying to apply for all the help that I can get as soon as I can so there's no delay.

However, I have contacted the council to say that I am liable for Council Tax, but when I have gone to complete the form for Council Tax Support, it's asking for my council tax number, which I don't have because I haven't received anything from them yet.

I was able to bypass the warning telling me that I had missed off this information, but I was wondering if it's worth waiting for this number in order to complete the form or just submit it as it is and hope that they will still be able to work on it?

Does anyone have any experience with this please?

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,699 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you don't have the number you can't provide it so continue without it, this is what i've always done in the past.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you don't have the number you can't provide it so continue without it, this is what i've always done in the past.
    Doing thinks online as had it much harder to do that because often you can’t proceed without completing information. I also missing being able to write additional information on paper forms when tickboxes didn’t seem to exactly fit the situation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Doing thinks online as had it much harder to do that because often you can’t proceed without completing information. I also missing being able to write additional information on paper forms when tickboxes didn’t seem to exactly fit the situation.
    I would just type UNKNOWN, N/A or if it requires numbers 00000000 etc. It worked for me with my application.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Thank you, this is what I have done.

• Autism_at_40
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Like I said in my post, I can bypass it.  
    I find things much easier to do online.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    calcotti said:
    I would just type UNKNOWN, N/A or if it requires numbers 00000000 etc. It worked for me with my application.
    Like I said in my question, I can bypass it, I was asking whether it was going to cause any issues.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Autism_at_40. I obviously can't say for certain but usually they can still look you up with the other information you've provided (name, address etc) it just takes longer for them to do. I've accidentally left things off of forms before and they've either taken longer to get back to me or they write or call and ask for the information.

If you don't hear anything within a reasonable timeframe is there an email address or online contact form you could fill out explaining the situation and asking for an update? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Hello, sorry for the delay in coming back to you.
    I got a relatively quick response from them without having given my number, so all is good.  Thank you.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've not known it to cause issues, if definitely hasn't in my case. It might just take slightly longer to process
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    I've not known it to cause issues, if definitely hasn't in my case. It might just take slightly longer to process
    Well, like I said, it didn't take as long as I was told it would take and I got accepted.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This sounds really positive @Autism_at_40 and a relief. How are you feeling about everything at the moment?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    This sounds really positive @Autism_at_40 and a relief. How are you feeling about everything at the moment?  :)
    I've got other problems at the moment.. 
    I believe my 'friend' who had been staying with, gaslighted me.
    My brand new cooker just broke..
    I struggle to deal with things like this, so it's hard.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,699 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it’s a brand new cooker then it will be under manufacturers guarantee. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    If it’s a brand new cooker then it will be under manufacturers guarantee. 
    Yes, I also have the care and repair on it.  I just struggle with making calls and it will mess up my plans for this week, if I cannot use the oven (which I can't as the door is hanging off).
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh no, those pesky things for us autistic people - talking on the telephone and change. How are you doing this weekend @Autism_at_40?

Hope things are looking better for you. We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us though or would like to talk things through  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    LOL - exactly! :smile:@L_Volunteer
    Well, things got a bit worse as my new washing machine was ripping my clothes!  So I decided to email because I couldn't face another call.  No reply of course.

Then, I got a text about the repair for my cooker, 29th March!!!  So I plucked up the courage to call, only to be told that they were a different company and I would need to contact another number, which I did, but the options I chose told me to call the number I had just dialled, very confusing.  So I emailed again.  Going to have to write a letter I think.  I can request a replacement if they can't repair in 7 days, it's just so much anxiety and stress I could do without at this time!

I went into the shop and looked inside the washing machine they had on display and it looked the same as mine, so I don't know whether it is the drum that's ripping my clothes, I may have to do another load and see what happens.

• L_Volunteer
    Options
    Oh no, what a nightmare @Autism_at_40! Is there a text option or an instant messenger option?

I can hear how anxiety-provoking and stressful all of that is for you, especially at this time  :( would anything help?

Have you tried to do another load yet? Please do let us know how things go (and if this is the drum!) and if there's anything we can do to help  :)

• Autism_at_40
    Options
    Thanks @L_Volunteer
    I ended up writing them a letter, there is no text option or chat that I could see.  They have a chat to the expert, but that's just for sales I think.

I've done another couple of loads now, it doesn't seem to be doing anything to my clothes, so I don't know what it was.

Cooker is being fixed on Wednesday, so honestly, I don't think there is anything I can do at the moment, but thank you.
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    How frustrating @Autism_at_40, the world really needs to evolve to incorporate more communication options! Hopefully, they will see and be responsive to your letter. 

Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be doing anything to your clothes anymore, that is a positive. Have they managed to fix your cooker yet? Hopefully, they have  :)

• Autism_at_40
    Options
    Hello, @L_Volunteer
    Yes, thankfully the cooker is now fixed, it literally took 2 minutes (after waiting all this time).
    I've not heard back from my letter though.  I did tell them they should have more options for people like us who dont like using the phone, we'll see if they say anything.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.