Are the DWP with Alice in Wonderland? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are the DWP with Alice in Wonderland?

Options
2oldcodgers
2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
edited February 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has been instructed to carry out an urgent investigation after the number of disabled people whose disability benefits were stopped when they failed to return a vital form shot up by more than 450 percent in four years. In 2017 just 7,500 claims for personal independence payment (PIP) were rejected because the claimant failed to return the AR1 award review form but by 2021 this had risen to 42,100 - a shocking increase of 461 percent.

However, a DWP spokesperson said there are safeguards in place to make sure vulnerable people don't have their benefits stopped unnecessarily.

Absolutely shocking!

Does anybody know what these safeguards are as they do not seem to be working.

I was caught up in this by not returning the relevant documents due to medical and mental health reasons. It took me 7 years of recovery to manage to bite the bullet and make a new claim losing those 7 years of benefits.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The main problem over the last year or two is not the claimants failing to return on time, it's the backlogs at the DWP mail sorting office meaning paperwork doesn't get logged onto the system in time. 

That immediately triggers an automated response to stop the PIP, which in turn stops other benefits such as SDP & the LHA increase that some of us get.

I also got caught by this, and had to rely on a relative making phonecalls on my behalf to get it all rectified.

I suspect the 'safeguards' they refer to are simply the automated warning letters, telling people that the forms haven't been received.  Not much of a safeguard in my opinion though!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.