Parenting Plan — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parenting Plan

Options
Serendipitous
Serendipitous Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, just wondering if anyone had any advice and help to put a parenting plan together for my daughter. any suggestions would be helpful. 
daughter is final year junior school, transitioning to high school this year.
acrimonious between mum and me.
daughter diagnosed as ASD this year.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Adeline
    Adeline Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Options
    @Serendipitous I can't help with a parenting plan (I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this?) but I can say from my experience of my own daughters who have ASD, the change from primary school to secondary was extremely difficult. Far beyond what I expected as the demands on them are suddenly far greater, it's like being dropped in a completely different world where you have to re-learn everything and the people around you are changing quickly so previous understandings of them no longer apply. 
    That, mixed with hitting puberty and general teenage concerns and worries made for an extremely difficult few years. 
    You may need to think of ways to make life less demanding at home while they settle but keeping a routine and structure will be really important. 
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya, I am also unsure what you mean by 'parenting plan' but I do agree with @Adeline that the transition from primary to high school is extremely challenging for ASD children.

A key thing is, as parents, that you can be on the same page. Especially if your daughter is going into mainstream school. There are likely to be meetings that you need to go to and (certainly in my experience) you might find that the school is not supporting your daughter as well as you need them too. So it is key that both parents can be in agreement (or at least sort out disagreements in private) so that you can be strong and clear together in dealings with school.

Routines are important. Also, if it's mainstream they should have a base/hub/nurture unit so it would be good for you to meet with school and see the facilities yourselves, what class support is available, hear their strategies for coping with challenges etc.

So - i'd say your parenting plan needs to see you communicating clearly between yourselves and putting your daughter's needs at the heart of it.  

Also- what strategies are you going to use to keep calm and clear headed yourselves when decisions made by school are not what you want (!)

Hopefully, things will be as you want and your daughter will be well supported but do just have a think about how you are going to make sure you deal with things before going into any meetings with schools.

Assuming it's mainstream. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.