Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Which benefits affected by hospital

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
Hello,

Which benefits are affected by a hospital stay?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP (and other disability benefits) stops after 28 days. If you have multiple stays in hospital which are less than 28 days apart the stays are added together.

UC continues but help with rent stops if you are expected to be in hospital or actually in hospital for six months.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bluefox
    Options
    What about ESA?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bluefox said:
    What about ESA?

It continues as normal for 52 weeks. After this you will lose the Support Group component. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Going-into-Hospital-and-benefits/Benefits-you-will-get-if-you-go-into-hospital
    Have you been in hospital recently or going into hospital soon?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bluefox
    Options
    I’m having a lot of mental health crisis and there’s possibility of going into hospital. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    bluefox said:
    What about ESA?
    It would have been easier if you had said what benefits you were interested in in your opening post because it wasn’t realistic to cover all possible benefits in my first reply. What other benefits do you get?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    bluefox said:
    What about ESA?
      What other benefits do you get?

Based on previous threads it's New style ESA, UC and PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    edited March 2023
    Options
    calcotti said:
    bluefox said:
    What about ESA?
      What other benefits do you get?

Based on previous threads it's New style ESA, UC and PIP.
    Thanks poppy, with so many threads by OP I couldn’t face going through them!

interestingly although the ESA Support Group component stops after 52 weeks in hospital I don’t think there’s any equivalent on UC and the LCWRA element. Therefore although the ESA would go down the UC would go up.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. With so many threads i just remembered. That is interesting, you'd think it would be the other way round.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.