Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

inheritance, descretionary trust, ESA and other issues...

Options
cheezluiz
cheezluiz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hello everyone. not sure if this is the right place but i could really use some advice.

im due an inheritance soon (over 16k)  and although i have some understanding of how it will affect me, i still have some questions that need answering so i can choose what the best option is for me to go forward. i'm currently in supported living and in receipt of SG ESA-IR (legacy) and PIP. my rent is paid for by the local council. im also in recovery from alcohol abuse. my mum sadly passed away last year and left her estate to me and my 2 siblings. they are joint executors of the estate and i am named as a beneficiary. my mums intent was to leave me some money for the future so i can use it to get back on my feet when i'm ready. there was also a concern that a large amount would also be too much of a temptation to me being an alcoholic hence naming my siblings as executors and not myself. now we've discovered that the way the will was written, the money im to recieve will drastically upset my benefits and living arrangements in which i am comfortable with and is really helping me with my mental health and recovery. 

i have exausted every avenue in the last couple of weeks trying to figure out what are my options with the money going straight into my savings which will be then classed as capital and i am no further wiser on what the best option is for me. i came across some information on descretionary trusts which i think is what my mum should of originally set up in her will. my understanding it that this would'nt of affected my means tested benefits and the money could be used as intended. apparently there is an option to amend my mums will to move the money into a trust for myself which we all agree would be the best option for me if it can be done.

my question is, would this be classed as deliberate deprivation of assets? 

any information on what the best thing to do in my situation would be helpful or if you could signpost me to any services out there that could help, that could be helpful too. happy to answer any questions if i have not provided enough information here.

thanks in advance

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    You can change the will after the death - but not for benefits purposes. You will likely be seen to have deliberately deprived yourself of the capital in order to maintain your benefits and will be treated as if you still had access to the capital (which I think is what you suspect).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will be classed as deprivation of capital. You have no option but to take the money and information all benefits departments of your savings. If any part of your ESA is contributions based this won't be affected (£117.60/week) PIP isn't affected either.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you refuse the money then the DWP will behave as if you received it and it will affect your claim.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    cheezluiz said:

i have exausted every avenue in the last couple of weeks trying to figure out what are my options with the money going straight into my savings which will be then classed as capital and i am no further wiser on what the best option is for me. i came across some information on descretionary trusts which i think is what my mum should of originally set up in her will

my question is, would this be classed as deliberate deprivation of assets? 

thanks in advance
    Setting up a discretionary trust should have been carried by mother before death.
    You cannot move the inheritance into one after death as you will be caught out with the deprivation rules.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.