Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.


Tomlynch77 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I just had my UC50 medical assessment by telephone. I've been providing fit notes for months. Will my claim, if successful, be backdated to when I first provided a fit not or to when I first applied for UC50? Also, how long should I wait before pestering them for a decision? Thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,166 Disability Gamechanger
    If found to have LCWRA it will be from when you first reported your health condition. Providing you sent a fit note within 7 days of that and continued to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on your WCA.

    For the LCWRA element there's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and the extra money is paid from the 4th month after you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note. It's not paid at all during the waiting period.

    When it's paid from exactly will depend on what date you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note and what date you usually receive your money each month.

    Decisions can take up to 12 weeks once the assessment report is returned to DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.