Ear worms? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ear worms?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
Do you ever get ear worms? Not like actual worms in your ear, but when a song gets stuck in your head and you can't get rid of it?? (I think that's the name of it, if not I'll be really embarrased!!)

If so, how do you get rid of it?? I've been singing the same song for days now and it's really frustrating me :D 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I sort of experience it but it's not something that's ever bothered me. I seem to have control over it and if I was to get bored I could just change it to something else or stop it entirely.

I always thought when people said it's annoying or a problem they were just exaggerating. Is it really a problem for some people?

I am not trying to dismiss it, in fact I suffer from obsessive thoughts, so I know well what it's like having something stuck in your head that you don't want to be there. Just I seem to be immune from the song-based ones. :D 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yeah that "Happy" song from minions, it's always stuck in my head for some reason.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I sort of experience it but it's not something that's ever bothered me. I seem to have control over it and if I was to get bored I could just change it to something else or stop it entirely.

I always thought when people said it's annoying or a problem they were just exaggerating. Is it really a problem for some people?

I am not trying to dismiss it, in fact I suffer from obsessive thoughts, so I know well what it's like having something stuck in your head that you don't want to be there. Just I seem to be immune from the song-based ones. :D 
    I don't know if what I experience is the same as when others complain of it, but for me it can become just as troublesome as intrusive thoughts. Its literally all my mind can think about and plays over and over and over. I'll try and listen to other music and the song is still going in my head and it's so loud. And the more I try not to think about it the more I do. 
    I'll wake in the night still singing it and my brain feels like it's stuck on it. 

For me it's similar to when I get an obsessive thought in that it just won't go or be quiet. :( 

JBS2022 said:
    Yeah that "Happy" song from minions, it's always stuck in my head for some reason.
    That's one that comes to my head quite frequently too! Weird
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to read that @Biblioklept, must be annoying and a bit unnerving. Sadly don't really have any ideas apart from maybe treat it as any other intrusive thought and use your regular coping mechanisms.

One thing I would ask is does it drown out your other intrusive thoughts? If it does, you could treat it as a positive thing. I often used to find that one intrusive thought would drown out any others so if I had a "less bad" thought going on I would try to think of it as positive in that at least I'm not having one of the "worse" thoughts. I hope that makes sense.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    That's a good way of thinking about it @66Mustang. They do get at their worst when I know I'm not doing so well mentally so maybe it is in itself is a coping mechanism and a way my brain has decided to block out much worse intrusive thoughts! I actually never thought of that but it really makes sense. Thank you <3

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.