UC work capability assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC work capability assessment

Options
Charli
Charli Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I last posted things have been really bad!! I was my husbands carer he has severe mental health problems which ended up with us splitting in October 21 he’s been back and forward since but last April I finally applied for UC I got the basic allowance which after paying my rent left very little to live on so I found a job which I really enjoyed, then last August I finished nights and started vomiting blood, and discovered while in hospital I have numerous thing’s wrong anyway to cut a very long story short I’ve now lost my job, I’ve been handing sicknote a in since August I had my wca last wednesday 15th by phone, the lady was really nice, I had a phone appointment with a work coach on Friday and he said the decision would be imminent, it’s making me physically sick with worry about the outcome I honestly don’t know how this government expects people to be able to live on £610 a month ( that includes my rent) I only got my money on Wednesday and after paying my rent and bills I have nothing left now for another month, I’m sorry for going on, but I just had to vent

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's never easy living off just the basic benefits. If there's a shortfall in your rent have you looked at claiming a discretionary housing payment? (DHP) It's not guaranteed but worth trying at least. If it's awarded then it's only for a short period of time before you need to reapply. I'd advise you to get some help filling out the forms because speaking from experience they are quite complex. You will need to apply with your local Authority. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

For the decision on your WCA these can take up to about 12 weeks. If found to have LCWRA then you'll be entitled to extra money from the 4th month after you reported your health condition.

Have you considered applying for PIP? It's not means tested or awarded based on any diagnosis. Whether you're entitled will totally depend on how your conditions affect you. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Charli
    Charli Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks for your reply poppy my work coach advised me to apply for pip I had the standard reply text that they’d received my how my disability affects me form and if I need to attend a consultation they’ll get back to me I’m not expecting to hear anything soon as I only got the text on feb 8th, I applied for dhp and they want bank statements and I thought I was doing the right thing leaving my husband our joint account but I have had an absolute nightmare since as I have no photo id, I’m so stressed about money on top of coming to terms with the fact I have hepatic encephalopathy which has caused seizures, bleeding stomach and numerous other things, my life has basically been turned upside down

• Breacon
    Breacon Community member Posts: 101 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Charli

You poor thing, sound like a nightmare, it's awful when you are ill, & you have to fight on relentlessly to get benefits, obstacles gallore are put in your way, I just wanted to acknowledge, that your not alone in this, you will receive good advice & support on here.
    Good luck.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.