UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC

Options
Louize
Louize Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, so wondering if anyone can assist, my partner cares for my little boy and I work full time. It is mow becoming more difficult for my partner to keep his part time job and care for my son aa its now becoming apparent he needs round the clock 24/. So now I'm wondering if my partner resigned from his job to look after our soon would we be entitled to any additional help and would he be forced to look for further work? Everything I have found online seems vague...

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    How old is your son? Does your son have any disability benefits? Unless your husband is expected to be a warranted carer he will be expected to work.

Any benefit calculator can be used to calculate entitlement.
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Louize
    Options
    He is 9, with high rate care and low rate mobility 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Louize said:
    He is 9, with high rate care and low rate mobility 
    Because he has DLA then your husband would be able to be put as his carer.

If claiming UC as a couple he would declare him as a carer. The UC calculation would include money for your son, disability extra money for the son and a carer element for your husband.

If not claiming UC husband can claim Carer’s Allowance for being a carer. He can also claim both CA and UC but the CA is deducted from UC.

Do you claim any other benefits at the moment? If you get Tax Credits you may not wish to look for UC yet for UC would end Tax Credits. 

What is exactly best depends on your overall circumstances but he can definitely claim Carers Allowance if he is not earning more than £132/week.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Louize
    Options
    Thank you. No other benefits just uc. Just wouldn't want to end up sanctioned because he has given his job up, our son needs him more thar his current job. Thank you for your info 😊 
  • calcotti
    Options
    So you a benefits calculator to see if you could get UC as a couple which would be worth not than CA. If not he should just apply for CA.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.