Employer showing lack of consideration and due processes about autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employer showing lack of consideration and due processes about autism

Options
forthaven
forthaven Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Second post on this issue, i saw something related though....
I arranged access to work grant, and the company refused to take on any of the reccommendations- citing financial issues as the reason, which is a red alert if true or not. I suspect its not.
My line manager and the other collegue I work with are Indian Nationals. They activley refuse any dicussion about austim or mental health- and i feel that in discolosing this, im being treated as a lesser person as a result. I being spoken to with contempt at times or even lower at times despite just asking for clarity as their english is poor and written instructions sometimes very hard to understand.
The company agreed to flexible hours, but then I was told I need to request earlier (or later) finsihes in writing the day before. thats what they were doing anyway- and is pretty normal. flexitime doesnt work like that.
The langugage used towards me is unprofessional, rude, and a threat was made to terminate my access to key part of the website at one point, which led me to a meltdown 2 weeks ago, It was totally unwarranted- and im being repeatedly blamed for a code fault which is nothing to do with me or my work!! 
My line manager and other collegue refuse to use webcams (I am a 100% remote worker) therefore I feel a disconnection on a personal level.
Ive posted before that this company have appalling reviews from former employees. I would not have taken this job had I known this (it was via an agent). But i can see why now. Im not being given proper support, and they are essentially refusing my reasonable adjustments request telling me flexible hours are 'not like this'- even though I asked politely- under flexitime, i wouldnt even need to ask if i am leaving outside core hours (which have not been defined).
My support to work advisor has said I should look for something else, and I am doing. However, I wondered if anyone has a take on this. I am at my wits end and its damaging my mental health. Im working hard, and it seems this is not being recognised at all.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through such a terrible time with a company that sounds like they have no understanding of the access to work grant. If you needed any further advice, I would suggest reaching out to Scope's Employment Services to see if they can advise further. 

It does sound like your advisor has your best in mind by saying to look for something else, which I understand must feel so daunting. Have you got support for your mental health? There are always amazing charities like SHOUT who are a 24/7 mental health texting service. 

How is your searching going for another position? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Louisa_88
    Louisa_88 Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi. I am really sorry about what you are going through with work. It's a legal requirement to provide reasonable adjustments but unfortunately it's also open to interpretation so more ignorant employers can find ways around it... I'm just sorry that you have an employer like that, especially when you are clearly working hard and it doesn't sound from what you have said that you are being at all unreasonable. It is awful that they have made you feel lesser or lower than.

I think your advisor has the best idea in looking for something else as this situation is not your fault and you deserve an employer who is willing to provide you with adjustments and supports that you need. Hopefully you will find something better for you soon. Best of luck.
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of neurodiversity.
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    Options
    just focus on getting out of there.

i'd suggest going to your GP to get a fit note saying you're unfit for work for a few months as a result of all the stress and anxiety. use that to quit your job then get on UC without being sanctioned.

also them being indian nationals has nothing to do with their ableism. they're just ableist.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.