If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inflation

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
Whilst overall inflation is still in double figures food inflation is over 19% heading for 20%.
Now we know that benefits and pensions have risen/are rising by 10% but what we should be aware of is that those of us on pensions/benefits biggest expenditures are rent/food/utility bills.
This govt has promised to halve inflation by the end of the year...we shall see.
So my question is what steps are you taking to manage with food price hikes of almost 20%?

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,789 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I cannot believe inflation is still so high. Food prices have gone through the roof. Just try to buy the best priced food I can @woodbine
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,471 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes wait and  see 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You've just reminded me that I need to buy some more seeds. So many things are easily grown just in containers, which have helped me over the past few years.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are many social media "influencers" across Instagram, TikTok and YouTube who do budget friendly meals. I've found them very helpful when food shopping. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    edited April 2023
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Whilst overall inflation is still in double figures food inflation is over 19% heading for 20%.
    Now we know that benefits and pensions have risen/are rising by 10% but what we should be aware of is that those of us on pensions/benefits biggest expenditures are rent/food/utility bills.
    This govt has promised to halve inflation by the end of the year...we shall see.
    So my question is what steps are you taking to manage with food price hikes of almost 20%?

We just buy what we have always done and shop at the same places. Yes the weekly shop has gone up by about £30 a week but so have all of our benefits, pensions etc. Our fuel costs have come down from what they were up until last month, including the £67 government of £259 a month, now £182 a month a reduction of £77 a month. We have cancelled the car insurance as the Motability car includes insurance, a reduction of £55 a month. The car sundries, tyres, servicing etc no longer exists also saving over £800+ a year. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    You've just reminded me that I need to buy some more seeds. So many things are easily grown just in containers, which have helped me over the past few years.
    Do you have any tips for someone born without the green thumb?? I rely on online shopping and most weeks salad items just don't come or are already soggy and limp when they do. If I could grow my own that would be super helpful but I wouldn't know where to start even for simple things like which pots or how often you water. I tried some cucumbers last year and it just didn't work :D 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:

I've noticed a lot of the budget and value lines have gone up a lot more than 20% too :( 

I tend to do the same shop week after week and due to my disabilities struggle to change the foods I eat so I'm just going without when the budget doesn't stretch!!
  • SurvivorEmpowered
    SurvivorEmpowered Posts: 56 Connected
    Options
    @woodbine

I bought my last shopping last week perhaps for a very long time. I barely saw anything for my money. I can't cut anymore as I am only living on 247.40 PIP. This month back to not able to pay any of my utility bills i.e. Mortgage 117.00, Water 37.00, Energy 150, Council tax etc. I have looked at releasing equity however without an income I've struck another barrier finding a positive solution. 

The health effect with the worry are so intense, not sleeping, hair falling out in clumps, stomach pains, restlessness constant anxiety. 

The cost of living I believe for persons like me is adding the burden of misery. I feel constantly punished by this government. I am house bound so disgusted..

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,122 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am only living on 247.40 PIP.

Have you checked entitlement to Universal Credit? Are you living with a partner or by yourself?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SurvivorEmpowered
    Options
    @poppy123456 

I have remained single 19 years since my divorce and its a complicated story regarding U.C.  I only found out I had been sanctioned from UNIVERSAL CREDIT a few weeks ago.  So stressed as my mobile crashed. Being housebound and no support. I recently gone through a night mare.

My PIP review form is due back in I have no one to take it to be posted. I cant even vote on the 4th May due to being house bound. Life tough and getting worse. 

I'm leaving here today closing my account, as I feel I don't belong any where any more. 

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Yes, @SurvivorEmpowered, we are living through hard times.

Regarding post & voting. I would think your postie would happily take your stamped letters for you, mine is quite happy to. Also, sign up for postal voting, might be too late for May 4th, but look on the government web site & see.
  • SurvivorEmpowered
    Options
    @JessieJ Thank-you for sharing your experience .

However I am unable to use my Post Person due to an unethical assault on me. That person still has this round.. Yes I informed the crisis team and the POLICE. 
    NO one should be allowed to come into someones personal space uninvited. 

Yes spoke to their management. Now my life is made a misery as that Post person is local and has befriended neighbours, They to show hostilite actions... 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SurvivorEmpowered I'm so sorry to hear about this, I know you've mentioned informing the Police, so if you are still feeling unsafe now, it's worth reporting this again. 

Please let us know if we can provide any additional support, and we'll do what we can to help :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.