New walking frame — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New walking frame

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,718 Disability Gamechanger
Due to my continuing and worsening problems with my balance and eyes I have bought myself a walking frame on Amazon for £45 thought it quicker than going via the NHS.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,457 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it makes things easier for you @woodbine, saves waiting around 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck with using your walking frame. I hope it helps you get around. Take care.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    good luck with it, i hope it improves things for you, take care
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 565 Pioneering
    Options
    Is a walking frame a Zimmer frame? If so you can get them free simply by falling over and being taken to hospital! Using this method I amassed 7 of them at my old flat. They had to live outside in the garden! A year ago I moved in to my new flat, so I took just one Zimmer with me. Now I only have two, so I know I am either getting better or more careful about falling over! Balance is a delicate thing...
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine if it makes life easier for you then it's worth any price. I have a relative who refused to use hers for years because it "makes her look old" but more recently she put her vanity aside and it has made her life quite a bit easier.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Is a walking frame a Zimmer frame? If so you can get them free simply by falling over and being taken to hospital! Using this method I amassed 7 of them at my old flat. They had to live outside in the garden! A year ago I moved in to my new flat, so I took just one Zimmer with me. Now I only have two, so I know I am either getting better or more careful about falling over! Balance is a delicate thing...
    it wasn't that expensive and if it helps my mobility will be worth every penny.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it helps you to feel supported then when moving around then that's great @woodbine :)

I think it'll probably help with your confidence to move about as your conditions change, and with keeping your body moving, both of which are good things!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    Options
    It came today and I had a trial "run" round the garden, will def. take some getting used to but if it helps me keep my balance will be great, have had 3 falls this week luckily no serious harm done apart from more bruises.

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Hopefully it will lessen your falls 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your falls. Perhaps holding onto something will help. Take care.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 565 Pioneering
    Options
    @woodbine You are right: Anything that helps your mobility is worth every penny. I have balance issues which is why I fall over. I am very careful now and haven't been in hospital for the best part of a year. But I did take a tumble about 2 weeks ago. Luckily I fell in to a corner so my fall was broken before I hit the floor. So shaken rather than stirred! Be careful. I am sure you know always to grasp the aid before standing. 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I do loose my balance accasionally, I wouldn't mind but that's b4 a drink

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.