If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Renewal

Options
Julia21
Julia21 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hello

I know I'm worrying ahead of time but can anyone please advise what a PIP renewal involves?

My son originally applied for PIP early last year, as he has epilepsy, and received an award for 3 years - so a bit of time left - but I'm just wondering if he'll have to go through the same application process again for the renewal or if it's more a check-in to see what, if anything, has changed? Also, is the renewal process an in-person meeting, or a video meeting/telephone call, or just written statements, etc? 

Also - a bit specific - but if, in time, medication hopefully manages to control his seizures, to some extent, will that mean he's no longer eligible for PIP?

I'm not clear if the PIP assessment is based on how much medication controls a disability or whether it's looking at the 'worst case scenario' (i.e if he didn't take his medication etc).  I can't remember how he's meant to answer the questions as when he first applied it was completely uncontrolled and they were trying all sorts of different meds.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @Julia21 and thanks for reaching out :)

I know that PIP reviews are undergoing some delays due to large backlogs within the DWP. Awards are usually extended if needed, until the DWP can catch up. 

From my time here on the forum I'd say it's probably best to treat the review as a new claim, as you'll still have to answer each question in detail even if nothing has changed. I think depending on the length of your son's award, it may be more of a check in if it's 'ongoing'. 

Initially you'll be sent the PIP review form, and may be invited for a face-to-face assessment if they feel more evidence is needed.

You can read about the PIP review form on Citizens Advice, which I hope is helpful for you.

If your son's condition or the help he needs changes, you will need to inform them of a change of circumstances. 

PIP is assessing your son's ability to carry out each of the PIP descriptors for a majority of the time, it's not looking for a particular diagnosis or just the worst case scenario. If his condition fluctuates, be very clear in explaining how it differs, and what the bad days are like, or how often they occur.

Please let us know if we've missed anything, and we'll do what we can to help!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.