Awful DWP 'fraud' advert — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awful DWP 'fraud' advert

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2023 in Coffee lounge
Has anyone else seen the new DWP fraud advert?? I think it's awful and a disgusting waste of money and resources. Yet again they try and get us all turning on each other and scare-monger and ignore the real fraudsters - the government!!

Like really, bullet proof vests, dawn raids, and using lines from a Liam Neason movie about human traffickers!! As if they're anything alike. 

And this was the disability minister. Talk about terrifying people. :angry:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not seen it but nothing surprises me any more
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    It looks like it's been taken down now! I saw it on Twitter.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've not seen it either 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,657 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't watch adverts.  Would rather switch channels and watch 5 minutes of a different program than watch adverts lol.  (That's if I'm not going to the loo or getting a drink - which I do find ad breaks useful for!)
  • ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Haven’t seen it. Doesn’t surprise me one bit. The disabled are demonised by this government. Last on the list as always.  From the £20 upgrade that disabled people were disallowed,  to non inclusion of the cost of living giveaways. Quite shocked the most vulnerable folk in the U.K. are last on the list or given crumbs when the C.O.L. funding was allocated. The government needs to realise people aren’t feeding themselves or heating their homes properly and there is no end in sight for price rises. As my elderly neighbour said, “ you can always have a tin of soup and bread to fill up if you can’t afford a meal” not any more, it’s too expensive!! 
  • Biblioklept
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Don't know if this will work for people but the video is still live on the DWP FB page, you don't need a FB account to watch it: 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=773485264097550
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    It looks like it's been taken down now! I saw it on Twitter.
    That's interesting I saw they got quite a bit of hate for it in the media. It's still on their FB page though. Fact it's the disability minister makes it even worse because it feels aimed at disabled people too!!
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Omg just watched it through your link 
    That seems a bit heavy handed and scary
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    It's so OTT, like for huge organised crime sure but this is just to terrify people. It's wrong on so many levels
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    It does I'm wondering where the police have time for this, as they don't have for other crimes
  • Prometheus2020
    Prometheus2020 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    edited April 2023
    Options
    When they require applicants to supply intimate details of their lives, bank statements, medical evidence, fill out detailed forms, attend face to face interviews with so called experts and go as far as arguing at tribunal before awarding the right amount you have to wonder how on earth they find £9b is defrauded. If it's true they should be looking at their staff and processes rather than treating the disabled like terrorists or drug lords. Shameless! It was heavily distributed on Twitter. Now deleted. It seemed to be based on Line of Duty!!
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    I was interrogated at Job Center in room where it was only he and and me. I told him in no uncertain terms where to go.  This did involve the f word. He didn't like it so I told him again to go away. Government agencies should not treat people in this manner.
  • RestingSquirrel
    RestingSquirrel Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Options
    That video will be terrifying to some people, and may prevent the very vulnerable from claiming at all. That's the idea I suppose as I doubt it will concern the real fraudsters.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=773485264097550
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    Options
    I had an Assessor call, he said he was calling from the Department of Work and Pension, sounds like a fraud has been perpetrated on me. Go figure.  
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,925 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Perhaps controversially, I am all for rooting out and exposing anyone who is trying to cheat the system. If you are claiming fraudulently, you should live in a state of constant fear. Remember that it is these people that cause problems for those of us who are genuine - as an example, if everyone was honest, assessments would not be required in the first place!

All that said, I do agree with most of what has been posted on this thread already. It seems like they are trying to make us all feel guilty for claiming, and scare potential genuine claimants away.

It reminds me a bit of the school nurse. Does anyone remember the school nurse being really horrible and making you feel like you were doing something wrong by going to see her? This was intended so people didn't just go to her to skip lessons, but it had the effect of stopping genuinely unwell people from going to see her!
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Unfortunately, the Government go for the easy pickings to generate and save money.

Drivers are 'easy pickings', genuine benefit claimants are 'easy pickings' etc.

Amazon Tax is 'difficult' etc.

A total lack of an 'egalitarian society'. 

• Cyhyraeth
    Cyhyraeth Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    UPDATE: The DWP deleted their original tweet containing this video.  The original text featured the quote at the top of this article, followed by the claim that 'At the DWP we have a very particular set of skills that we use in conjunction with the police to tackle fraud'.  This has now been replaced by text which says 'We won't tolerate the theft of support and targeting of the vulnerable.' 
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/dwp-disability-benefits-fraud-film-disgrace

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.