Salespeople/charity workers & social anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Salespeople/charity workers & social anxiety

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,932 Disability Gamechanger

This might be a slightly controversial topic but I thought it would make a good discussion subject.

How do people feel about salespeople or charity workers setting up in places you HAVE to go, like the sole entrance/exit to a shop, or outside a doctor’s surgery, then approaching people as they walk in.

Before I sound like a misery guts! :D I would love to help all of the charities if I can, and I try to do my bit, but obviously money is an object so saying “no” is something you have to be able to do, but I figured that a lot of people can’t do this.

Should they be told to set up somewhere where there is an alternative route so that people can avoid them if they need to?

I’m especially interested in responses from people with social issues or anxiety but anyone is more than welcome to comment.

I find it easy enough to say “no thanks” but if I were on my own I don’t know if I’d have the confidence and would probably get suckered in. I have lied in the past when it was the AA breakdown cover looking for new members and said I am already a member.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    Like you, I say a polite 'no thanks' to those collecting or canvassing outdoors, that is sufficient for most. Those that are uninvited that ring my doorbell are a different kettle of fish, especially as I have a sticker politely saying no thanks to cold callers, salesmen & religious groups beside the bell push (I'm hesitant to get one that mentions disability). They still ring & when I finally get to the door, just carry on with their spiel when I open it. I'm not tight, but I give to charities I choose, not to those that hound & certainly not to those that think they're not cold callers.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nope nope nopeeee. I hate them. I understand it and I know that the shop front ones are usually more legitimate than those knocking on your door or middle of high street as they usually get vetted but not always. 
    But even putting aside the issue of fraud and scammers, the pressure from legitimate ones for someone with social anxiety or communication difficulties is insane. 

Back when I used to go out this contributed so hugely to my anxiety. I couldn't say no. I know charities do such amazing work and that they need to raise money to keep doing it, but it's something that makes me really uncomfortable.
    I literally couldn't say no. I'd stand and have huge spiels said to me while wanting to cry or leave but not wanting to be rude and then at the end I'd feel bad that I've wasted their time that I'd always sign up. Always. I can't say no to people and it puts me in such a vulnerable position, especially now they ask for bank details instead of loose change.

It's often said that one of the reasons against begging is because it puts people under pressure, especially vulnerable people, to give even when they don't have it to spare and I feel it's exactly the same for this.

I know some people could happily walk past and ignore, or say no, or lie but I can't do any of those. 

Same with people that come to the door. I've changed energy provider so many times because someone knocks on the door and I get pressured into it, same with broadband, internet and TV packages. It 100% has hugely contributed to my anxiety over going out or answering my front door. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I feel mean now for saying I hate them, obviously I don't hate the people that do it, but the actual practice really doesn't sit right with me and has negatively impacted me many a time. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wouldn't go in a shop with a single door.  I can't stand the ones that force you to walk through the entire store and checkouts just to reach the exit again.  That sets off my entrapment symptoms with agoraphobia.  I need to feel like I can 'escape' a building at any time.

I'm not a fan of the charity collectors but can't say I found them to be a massive issue socially.  I'd just keep walking past and give a small headshake if they appeared to be approaching me.  

I don't feel guilty for not giving to every charity.  I choose the ones I wish to donate to and do so online.  I don't appreciate being 'forced' into it, and I certainly don't appreciate the sob-story adverts played on certain TV channels that are clearly designed to prey on more vulnerable people.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    Reminds me of the time my daughter whacked me across the head

My wife to daughter ... I gave money to the collectors in Co op today for the MS Society today

Me ... Did the table have wonky legs

Daughter ... Hilarious ... whap

Before I'm hung out to dry ... my daughter has MS

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.