Disabled working tax credit backpay dispute — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled working tax credit backpay dispute

Options
Ikonik
Ikonik Community member Posts: 60 Connected
PIP awarded at tribunal. Entitlement from June 2022.
Letter received from tax credits to sign, sent back recorded delivery immediately.
Phoned tax credits. They backdated working tax credit to April 2023.
Said the other backpay would be done separately for June 2022 to April 2023.
Called again yesterday to chase it up.
Was told it's been refused because the working tax credit claim was not made within 30 day timescale of being awarded PIP.
The lady on helpline agreed with me that that did not make sense because they had already partially backdated it.
The backdating was already was an admission that we had submitted a claim in the correct time scale 
Waiting for any letter regarding this to arrive. 
Are we entitled to this backpayment ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,392 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It should be from the date of the PIP award. Backdating it to April 2023 makes no sense at all. You should dispute that but you'll need to wait for the letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ikonik
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456.
    It's just another thing to have to fight for. I have typed out a letter ready to send. Just need to see if anything arrives in the post on Monday. 
    The DWP sent electronic notification to HMRC before we got a PIP award letter, so HMRC already knew. The letter that HMRC sent to be signed was returned to them by recorded delivery. I have the receipt. 
    And the Post office have lost it 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Speaking from memory, a lady I helped out one time online was awarded on the 15th and let Tax Credits know on the 1st of the following month once the award letter was received etc. She received a lump sum of £700 and a further amount of £1500 a week later, this didn’t show on her Government Gateway account (the £700 did). 

Good luck and I hope it’s not too much of a challenge, you will get it backdated eventually.
  • Ikonik
    Options
    They say it's because we didn't tell them within 30 days but my husband didn't get his award letter until mid April
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yet they backdated it to April... yes, that makes a whole lot of sense.. not. :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ikonik
    Options
    I called again this afternoon. Was told it has now been granted.
    Wondering how long the wait will be for the backpay ? 

• poppy123456
    Options
    Ikonik said:

Wondering how long the wait will be for the backpay ? 

I'm afraid that's impossible to answer. Once payment is made it will be the usual BACS payment wait of 3-5 working days for it to go into your bank.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.