Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is Trusty! Advice on direct payments policy

Trusty Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Im looking for some advise I'm currently receiving LCWRA, EESA & UC benefits.  However, my son has given up work to look after his son who has autism and SOD.  He has put in for direct payments and was asking if I would look after my grandson under the direct payments policy.  
Can I do this without my benefits being affected.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,108 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA is part of UC and not a separate benefit. If he will be paying you then this would be classed as earnings. For your ESA you can do permitted work. You must make sure you work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £167/week. You must tell ESA that you're working and will need to fill out a PW1 form.

    For UC you will have the work allowance which means a certain amount of earnings will be disregarded before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with any rent your work allowance will be £379/month, if you don't it will be £631/month. You must report a change of circumstances on your journal and tell them that you're working.

    Your earnings will be taxable income, as well as your New style ESA.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.