Accessible ticket machines. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessible ticket machines.

Options
john_taylor
john_taylor Scope Member Posts: 24 Connected
Has there been a discussion on this?
I found one today, private car park. Council member not happy but company not interested in accessibility and want to people to use an app as:
Alt. Ticket machine up 5 steps - only way to pay if you can't get up them you have to use an app. 

Just as they can't be bothered to make it accessible.

Just for reference in case of Ambleside public car park next to caravan club. All this as it floods and a removable ticket machine when it floods.

For interest is anything like this elsewhere or are locals trying to solve it?

Comments

• john_taylor
    john_taylor Scope Member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    I haven't seen this mentioned before @john_taylor but searching online I've seen this comes up quite often. 
    It also seems some councils are planning to do away with all parking meters and are opting for app-based versions instead.

How do you feel about using an app for parking? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 437 Pioneering
    Options
    I think there only being apps will be very hard for some people. My mum can’t use apps. She finds understanding car parks increasingly difficult.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    For those fortunate enough to have a Blue Badge, there is no need to pay to park at all. If the car parks insist that the disabled pay then I park on double yellow lines 
    I really do object that councils see car parks as a means to raise money other than for the mainteance and upkeep of the car park.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,605 Pioneering
    edited June 2023
    Options
    For those fortunate enough to have a Blue Badge, there is no need to pay to park at all. If the car parks insist that the disabled pay then I park on double yellow lines 
    I really do object that councils see car parks as a means to raise money other than for the mainteance and upkeep of the car park.
    Same here 
    I park in the most awkward places on purpose to make my point
    As long as it is not dangerous or illegal
    Unfortunately this is happening more and more often these days
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Same here 
    I park in the most awkward places on purpose to make my point
    As long as it is not dangerous or illegal
    Unfortunately this is happening more and more often these days
    I do too. The city where we go to to do the bigger shopping is so full of visitors  that most car parks are full the nearer you are to the centre. I find that the best place is right outside the police station and courts as they are in the centre plus it is fairly safe with police officers coming and going all day and night.
    I stick up my BB and am rest assured that I have 3 hours of free private parking. The only thing to be aware of is where I park by reference to the restrictions laid down in the Highway Code.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.