Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Disabled Virgin Mary in Peterborough Cathedral art exhibition
A depiction of a Virgin Mary in a wheelchair is among artwork featuring Christian figures with disabilities.
"Disability and the Divine" has opened at Peterborough Cathedral in what is believed to be first public exhibition of its kind.
Artist Marc Bratcher is disabled and used artificial intelligence and other technology to create the pictures.
"I was born with cerebral palsy, I've had it all my life, so it's just part of my life," he said.
The cathedral said it wanted to host the exhibition to make people with disabilities less invisible in "both in religious and non-religious settings".
As well as the exhibition, which runs until 7 July, the cathedral has been gifted one of the artworks to display permanently.
Mr Bratcher said: "As far as I'm aware, there has never been a representation or an interpretation of the Virgin Mary as a disabled woman.
"So I'm interested in starting a conversation culturally, theologically, historically, and also what it means for today as well."
Sandie Burns, from Disability Peterborough, said the artwork "shows a different perspective".
She said: "You could say that disabled people have been airbrushed out, but they were never put in, in the first place, to be airbrushed out.
"The fact that Mark has put disability at the centre of these pictures is such a good talking point."
Dr Rowan Williams, Canon at Peterborough Cathedral, said she was pleased "to be able to offer a space that helps people with disabilities to see themselves represented in ways that perhaps they haven't before".
"As a person with a mild disability myself, it's something that I feel very strongly about and would want to see us actively doing more to encourage," she said.
Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead
Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
- All Categories
- 13.2K Start here and say hello!
- 6.8K Coffee lounge
- 85 Games lounge
- 472 Cost of living
- 4.5K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 226 Community updates
- 9.5K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.6K Work and employment
- 797 Education
- 1.7K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 644 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 372 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 818 Transport and travel
- 31.5K Talk about money
- 4.5K Benefits and financial support
- 5.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.9K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 873 Chronic pain and pain management
- 177 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 326 Sensory impairments
- 825 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions