If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I suppose its more than on topic?

Options
onebigvoice
onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 757 Pioneering
edited July 2023 in Cost of living
The thing is we are all asked to look at ways to tighten our belts when it comes to spending and actually try to do without some things because of costs.
  But I wondered why there is this big drive to get disabled and sick people back to work earlier or retire later when they can't even find some one a job that is say 20 years old?
  I am still involved with apprenterships, and over the years have found that they are becoming less and less.  The taking on of apprentices must be remembered that they are the trades men of tomorrow.  I have been through this before in the 70's where there was no investment in company's so they are cutting labour rather than looking to the future.
  I notice the Police are changing policy, in so much as they are right to say that ambulance services should be used instead of polic e to resolve some issues they are being asked to attend.
  There is a different kind of training needed when looking at mental issues, and possibly being given the basic's are expected to deal with all types of problems.
  Should someone having a mental or stress breakdown be placed into the back of a police car?
  There are people out their who can do the rolls that police are being asked to do, yet NHS staff are being cut, Homes for the elderly are becoming expensive so family's are being asked to take on the rolls of carers.
  Again no training and when trying to collect care component they say you can't claim if you have another benefit, in my case a Pension (wife) so although I have an underlying payment, the one that pays more gets paid.  
  Pensions are taxed as unearned income and off set against all benefits.  this rate for every pound the council take 85%.  So how can we survive the cost of living when we are using PIP's benefits to pay bills instead of my pension? 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    You have really highlighted some major systematic issues currently being experienced by many in the employment sector, across different sectors of employment @onebigvoice. It is difficult for many to survive the cost of living when using benefits. Unfortunately, the simple answer is budgeting but it should not have to be  :(
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.