Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

PIP Supreme Court Change on Mental Health (Backpay)

Options
Awilkinson
Awilkinson Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited July 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there. 

So a few years ago (At least 2019), there was a supreme court ruling that said PIP claimants were being marked incorrectly for their mental health points in the assessment.

I've been getting PIP for 6 years, with 4 since the ruling on the enhanced rate, and I only got the standard rate in the first 2 years (I was one point off, in the mental health section). 

I rang them up back in the day, because they said they would be going back over claims in that period, and look at people who probably should've gotten PIP, or who should've gotten the enhanced rate - and will be awarding backpay based on the ruling. 

So they pulled up my file, and I had been flagged as one of the people to look into, because, by this point, I was on the enhanced rate. The woman on the phone told me it was likely an open-shut case, and I would be given backpay within "the next 3-4 years". 

Anyway, it's been 3-4 years, and I could really use the money nowadays. The PIP waiting times on the phone are insane, and I've never been able to get somebody to help me ring them up and check what's happening with it. 

Does anybody know what's going on with that? Have they forgotten about it or hoped disabled people would be too busy being disabled to bother inquiring? Do I need to sit down and try ringing them again, this time telling whoever's helping me that I'll likely get that money at the end of it? I don't want to miss my chance to get the help.
Tagged:

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,301 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure where they're at with going through old claims @Awilkinson. Have you heard any more? If you haven't already, giving PIP a call and asking for an update would be your best option. Please let us know how you're getting on and if you've heard anything. :) 
    Community Manager
    Scope
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.