Help filling in UC50 / PIP forms — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help filling in UC50 / PIP forms

Options
paries1
paries1 Community member Posts: 380 Pioneering
I’ve just read somewhere that filling in the above forms yourself if you have MH issues can mean you are marked down. This is absolutely ridiculous coz a lot of people that struggle MH have the ability to fill in a form. 
Will getting help ( welfare service etc ) filling in the form count for anything ? 

TIA 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In my opinion, no not at all. The best person to fill in the forms is always yourself because you are the only person that really knows exactly how your conditions affect you. 

Getting help to fill the forms out doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be entitled either. I’ve got help to fill out forms in the past and what a complete waste of time that was, I could have done better myself. Thankfully, it made no difference to the outcome and was still awarded. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paries1
    paries1 Community member Posts: 380 Pioneering
    Options
    In my opinion, no not at all. The best person to fill in the forms is always yourself because you are the only person that really knows exactly how your conditions affect you. 

Getting help to fill the forms out doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be entitled either. I’ve got help to fill out forms in the past and what a complete waste of time that was, I could have done better myself. Thankfully, it made no difference to the outcome and was still awarded. 
    That’s what I thought too . 
    I’m more than capable of writing how I’m affected , I think the only issue with me is that if I can say it in 1 sentence rather than a long paragraph I will, probably won’t do me any favours with DWP though . 
    I did go and see an advocate who was going to help but TBH after 5 mins with her I thought it was pointless . 
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering
    Options
    I find it useful to get help with forms, as an outside view helps me see what isn't normal in terms of day to day living with my health problems, and guides me to write some things down I wouldn't have thought about on my own. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @paries1 I've read a few times how people have started and gone back to the form over a few days, because it got too much for them. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.